This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Database performance for one alert with multiple triggers?

Most of our sites that have Solarwinds Alerts set up only need: High response time, restarted node, down node, packet loss alerts and high interface usage.  

Is it more taxing on the Database to have one alert that checks for restarts, down node, loss packets, and response time or should I break that up into 4 different Alerts?  

I would like to cut back on multiple alerts (a down node will also trigger a packet loss alert for example) and at the same time, minimize the effort to create new site alerts.

I have about 10 different alerting groups I'm managing (2 alerts per site) and would really like to have 15 Alerts total verses 50 but also don't want to cause slowness in our system.  

Parents
  • In general having simple conditions in the where is more efficient than having lots of OR conditions but you'd have to load thousands of alerts in a big environment to really measure a difference.

To your more strategic question about having too many alerts, when you compare the node down alerts at each site are they basically the same alert but the only difference is who gets the notification? If that's the case you would be better to use custom properties for the alert recipient instead of making multiple copies of the same alert.
  • Thank you.  I haven't worked too much with the custom properties for Alerts but every node does have it's own accosted site.

And yes, the only difference is who gets the notification.  

Reply Children