This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Problems generating alert from custom poller

I'm hoping there may be an easy fix for this as I'm quite new to this and could well be missing something simple.  I'm trying to generate an alert from a custom poller.  The poller appears to work correctly and returns a value of 0 or 1 from the device I am monitoring (it is actually an alarm condition).  It seems to function whether the format is 'none', 'text' or 'enumeration' for the purposes of displaying a graph for the node.

The attachment shows how I currently have the alert trigger configured with just two conditions:

poller name equal to IBUC10MHzalarm

numeric status equal to 1

The alert action I have is just to write to a text/log file.

I have also tried 'status' in place of numeric status and tried various changes to the format in the poller e.g. setting to text and using status instead of numeric status as I thought the issue may be with this, but no combination seems to yield a result.  I see no alerts generated.

I am assuming the alert should be generated from any node the poller currently monitors.

I've had a look at some other posts and people appear to have results using similar alert conditions and pollers.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

alert_from_custom_poller.zip
Parents
  • monty,

I haven't done much alerting from custom pollers, but I was wondering if you happen to have anything configured under the alert suppression tab. This probably isn't your issue, but I have run into problems in the past with alerts not firing when I tried to include suppression.

• kweise,

Thanks for the suggestion, but there is nothing configured under alert suppression, everything at default.

cheers,

Monty

• Hi Monty,

The next step would be to check in which field the UnDP has stored the value returned in the CustomPollerStatus table.

You can use the SQL Query pasted below. Put the name of your UnDP in the WHERE condition.

Once you figured out which field hosts the value, it should become obvious which field to choose in the alert if the right one was not selected to build the conditions.

SELECT CPA.AssignmentName, CPS.Rate, CPS.Total, CPS.RawStatus, CPS.Status, CPS.RowID
    FROM CustomPollerStatus AS CPS
    INNER JOIN CustomPollerAssignment AS CPA ON CPS.CustomPollerAssignmentID = CPA.CustomPollerAssignmentID
    INNER JOIN CustomPollers AS CP ON CPA.CustomPollerID = CP.CustomPollerID
    WHERE CP.UniqueName = 'NameOfYourUnDP'

You can use Database Manager, Report Writer or SQL Server Management Studio to execute this query.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate.

HTH,

Yann

• Yann,

Thanks for your assistance. I have tried your suggestion and, with the poller format at none (rather than enumeration or text etc), it returns a value in both RawStatus and Status. I will attach a screen shot. The value in both is the same i.e. both 0 when OK and both 1 when in alarm status. It toggles successfully when I put the equipment into the alarm state. Am I correct in thinking this suggests the parameters in the Alert are set correctly?

I tried experimenting with changing the poller format which does alter what appears in the fields with the SQL database query. I then tried creating a new alert accordingly but this didn't yield any result.

Best Regards,

Monty
  • It toggles successfully when I put the equipment into the alarm state. Am I correct in thinking this suggests the parameters in the Alert are set correctly?

I would say yes for the trigger condition. Is the alert being reset when the value goes back to 0?

If yes, then it pretty means that you can lay back on your seat and let NPM and the alert work for you :).

• Yann,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm slightly confused by part of it, and I'm maybe missing something, so I should maybe clarify what I said previously.  When I say toggles correctly, the value returned from the equipment changes as expected and consequently the value returned from the SQL query etc toggles.  What doesn't happen is any of my alert actions and I don't get it appearing as an active alert or in the log (and no alert clear/reset message either).  The reset condition is default, I think this is 'when condition no longer met' or something similar.

thanks,

Monty

• Yann,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm slightly confused by part of it, and I'm maybe missing something, so I should maybe clarify what I said previously.  When I say toggles correctly, the value returned from the equipment changes as expected and consequently the value returned from the SQL query etc toggles.  What doesn't happen is any of my alert actions and I don't get it appearing as an active alert or in the log (and no alert clear/reset message either).  The reset condition is default, I think this is 'when condition no longer met' or something similar.

thanks,

Monty

Children
  • When I say toggles correctly, the value returned from the equipment changes as expected and consequently the value returned from the SQL query etc toggles.

This means the UnDP is working fine. Ok.

What doesn't happen is any of my alert actions and I don't get it appearing as an active alert or in the log (and no alert clear/reset message either).

This means we have a problem with the Trigger Condition of your Alert.

Could you post a screenshot of your Trigger Conditon tab? And/Or the sql query stored in the TriggerQuery field in the AlertDefinitions table ( SELECT AlertName ,TriggerQuery FROM AlertDefinitions ) ?

Thanks,

• Yann,

Thanks for yor response.  The trigger query is as follows:

{F1ESELECT CustomPollerAssignment.CustomPollerAssignmentID AS NetObjectID, CustomPollerAssignment.AssignmentName AS Name
    FROM (CustomPollerStatus INNER JOIN CustomPollerAssignment ON (CustomPollerStatus.CustomPollerAssignmentID = CustomPollerAssignment.CustomPollerAssignmentID))  LEFT OUTER JOIN CustomPollers ON (CustomPollerAssignment.CustomPollerID = CustomPollers.CustomPollerID)
    WHERE 
    (
      (CustomPollers.UniqueName = 'IBUC10MHzalarm') AND
      (CustomPollerStatus.Status = '1')
    )

There should also be a screen shot at the start of this post.  I've added a shot of the trigger actions also.

I did notice something that may or may not be relevant.  When opening the DB manager again I could not connect to the database.  I had to delete and add the same one again with the same name and login details and it then responds.  I'm using SQL express.  The reason I though it may not be relevant is because in the previous tests I had the DB manager open was responding as expected to the SQL queries.  Other than this Orion is running fine and monitoring the network of routers.

thanks again,

Monty