This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Adding Notes to Node does not save

When I go in to "Node Details - Management - Edit Node - Notes" to add notes to the node and then click submit, go back to the edit node tab to see the notes, they are not there. Why are the notes I enter not saving?

I would like to be able to put in notes like, Name, location, circuit ID, phone number, hours so I can have this included in alerts when a node goes down. Maybe there is a better way to do this?

Thank you for any help you can give me!

• Adding this information to notes is a lot of legwork that will not pay off in an organizational sense. I would recommend creating Custom Properties for items like Circuit IDs,numbers,hours,location and you can have alerts pull this information from the nodes. Then you can use these custom properties in easy reporting when needing specific information e.g. devices in California that are 24/7. I hope this helps!

• Hi Mark,

We had a similar problem recently, where we thought the exact same thing, you enter the details on "Edit Node", then go back in and they will be there.

It wasn't until we did a bit of digging, that we found out that it is meant to be like this, the notes you enter do not display in this box, however on the node details page, there is a resource you can add which displays these notes.

pastedImage_0.png

This will display the notes you have added on the notes details page, as well as allowing you to add notes directly to the note details.

Additionally, this will show you the the historical note too.

There is another query about this here.

The only think I need to do now is to identify the query that adds this in to an alert!

In regards to your query, I would suggest looking at custom properties for those kinds of details though. Adding in node custom properties for location, name, IDs, vendors and phone numbers will be a lot easier to tailor your alerts in the long run.

Hope this helps!

James

EDIT: Additional comment on query.

EDIT2: I have figured out the alert too! Although I admit it took me a LOT longer than it should have done.

${SQL: SELECT Note FROM [dbo].[NodeNotes]

Where NodeID = (${N=SwisEntity;M=NodeID})

Order By TimeStamp Desc}

This will give you the latest node note for the node applied.

• Thank you, I tested this with a node that has notes and it works greate.   When I test this with another node that does not have any notes, it displays the code.   Do you know how I can suppress the code from displaying if there is a node that does not have any notes?   Sorry, I am not a SQL guy but Im sure this is probably an easy question for somebody with SQL experience.   Thank you in advance.