This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Metrics Reporting - Load Balancing Considerations

I have to report Network Availability Metrics on a monthly basis.  My current reports do not consider any load balancing in the calculations.  I would like to be able to do that, but don't really know where to start.  For example, let's say that I have Server 1 and Server 2 that are load balanced for Service 1.  Now if Server 1 becomes unavailable (reboot, crash, or etc...) which is unplanned, my Service 1 is still available and there is no interruption of service.  I want to be able to capture that in my metrics.  Currently, I gather all of my availability data as a percentage and I sum the percentages and divide by the total number of nodes monitored.  So in this case if Server 1 becomes unavailable, Service 1 is unavailable for that node, but that is not a true reflection of the availability of Service 1.  My calculation would be

Service 1          Server 1          95%

Service 1          Server 2          100%

Availability = 97.5%

when in actuality my Availability for Service 1 is 100%.  How do I account for load balancing, like in the example, in Report Writer?  Can it even be done?  How does everyone else handle this type of situation?

Message was edited by: Lamar Ross

Parents Reply Children
No Data