This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SNMP Trap Alerting questions

I have an external server that is sending SNMP traps to my NPM server. These traps have a certain variable in them that indicate a circuit ID. The problem is that this server sends the same snmp trap (until the problem is corrected) every 5 minutes, and unfortunately its not something I am able to change. What I need to be able to do create alerts based on the unique string in the variable I am looking for AND suppress the alerts so we only get the same unique alert once every 4 hours. Can I do this with NPM? I see that I can suppress the the alerts by the total number of alerts that come in on the rule, but I need to suppress them by the number of unique alerts.

Parents Reply
  • Those two seem to be at least partially what I am going for. I actually write my alerts from solarwinds to a windows event log where another program picks them up. The first post you linked asking to have an active alert via snmp traps is the closest i think. I may end up needing a third party tool to do what I want. Something like "alert is active if trap message containing text ABC is received" "Alert goes inactive if alert containing text ABC hasn't been received within 5 minutes of the previous one". If that makes any sense....

Children