This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

What Is Your Polling Configuration?

I'm trying to get an idea of what the optimal polling interval and statistics collection interval would be based on the number of nodes and interfaces. I was hoping we could get a thread going with everyone's polling configuration along with the server Orion is running on. One of the main problems with our previous NMS was that it was overtaxed, resulting in a lot of false alarms. Here is what I've got.

Network Nodes - 722, Interfaces - 1199, Volumes - 483

I've got the majority of my devices configured to poll every 120 seconds and statistics at 10 minutes. Approximately 50 critical devices are being polled every 60 seconds and statistics every 5 minutes.

Quad-Core Xeon 64-bit running Server 2k3 32-bit w/ 4GB RAM.

Parents
  • 2070 Nodes -  3252 Interfaces - Volumes     41 Volumes

Quad-core Xeon 64-bit server (2.66GHz), Win2K3 server (32-bit) w/ 4Gb RAM.   Separate Enterprise SQL Server.  Separate Web Server.

Polling - 120 sec., statistics - 10 min.    Nothing bumped up in polling.

Average CPU load, about 30%.   67% physical memory, 36% VM...

Rarely have any problems...

• Wow...and I thought we had alot of nodes. Thanks for the info, guys. Anyone else?

• I've got a main SLX server running the NetFlow module.  That box is a quad 2.8 GHz Xeon with 8 GB of RAM.  It runs between 15% and 25% on the CPU and uses about 1.5GB of RAM.  I also have a secondary polling engine which is a quad 3.0 GHz Xeon with 4 GB of RAM.  This server runs between 5% to 15% CPU and uses almost 2GB of RAM.  I also have an additional web server.  Our polling and statistics collection settings are pretty standard, 120 seconds for polling and 10 minutes for statistics. 

We have:

9363 Elements

2941 Nodes

6418 Interfaces

4 Volumes

366 NetFlow interfaces

and a partridge in a pear tree (sorry, I coudn't resist, tis the season!)

• I've got a main SLX server running the NetFlow module.  That box is a quad 2.8 GHz Xeon with 8 GB of RAM.  It runs between 15% and 25% on the CPU and uses about 1.5GB of RAM.  I also have a secondary polling engine which is a quad 3.0 GHz Xeon with 4 GB of RAM.  This server runs between 5% to 15% CPU and uses almost 2GB of RAM.  I also have an additional web server.  Our polling and statistics collection settings are pretty standard, 120 seconds for polling and 10 minutes for statistics. 

We have:

9363 Elements

2941 Nodes

6418 Interfaces

4 Volumes

366 NetFlow interfaces

and a partridge in a pear tree (sorry, I coudn't resist, tis the season!)

Children
No Data