This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Interface up down notification

Does anyone know how to create an alert notification for when an interface goes up or down? I'm only interested in getting a notification from the interfaces I'm monitoring. for example I have a switch with 200 ports, but I only want to get alerted on up down status of the two uplinks it has and not on all the user ports. I have about a hundred of these switches/routers.

Parents
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Hi.  What I do is have a series of key words in the interface description.  If it is for an agent, we ignore it - we don't "do" port level management for users.  However, in our description to any uplinked switches or other managed devices, such as servers, we add /* UPLINK TO XYZ @ IP ADDRESS / INTERFACE */ and create a custom trigger to send us alerts / tickets when ports go down.  We taylor this to the situation, but this way the WAN team and Systems team get real time alerts when things go bump in the datacenter.  emoticons_wink.png

Uplink Trigger.PNG

Then we create the alert which emails the team as well as cuts a ticket directly to our queue:

Trigger Email.PNG

You can of course do this for your circuits, as well - we use /* L3 MPLS link to xxxxxx */ or any other carrier and do the same key word search for the word MPLS.  Keeps us plenty busy!

• The one drawback to relying on SNMP polls is that you don't get notified until the next poll (two minutes by default). What would be a best way to utilize syslog or snmp traps?

• An Interface down trap from the device to Orion could be matched with a Trap Viewer alert using the "Change the Status of an Interface" action.  The Interface would need to be monitored in Orion from what I can tell since its that status which would be changed.  Once the status changes, your Interface Down alert should kick in.

Sohail

http://www.loop1systems.com

Reply Children
  • Sounds like a good idea.

So I guess what I'm going to do is make sure I have a unique description on the interfaces I'm concerned about and create my alert using the method donc1972 mentioned (although Richard's way is good also, having descriptions on interfaces is our standard practice) and set the Trap alert to change my interface status immediately. Oh, and I need to make sure my devices send the link-status trap. emoticons_happy.png

I've yet to find some time to troubleshoot the snmp packet loss issue...

Thanks everyone for your help!