This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Installing Additional Pollers and an Additional Web Server

I am about to bring three additional pollers and an additional web server online and I want to make sure that I cover all the steps involved in getting them fully integrated into the monitoring system.

In another post I found out that the additional web server must have the following done:

- download and install an NTA and an APM web console from the Customer Portal

- install the NCM Integration executable and point to the IP of the server where NCM is installed

- install any other modules (IPSLA for example) and the web portion will install as needed

Is there eanything else I must do for the Additional Web Server?

For the Additional Polling Engines I see on page 137 of the NPM Admin Guide that I must copy six files from the Orion directory to each additional poller in order to port the custom properties from the primary. I have the following questions:

- do I copy reports to each additional poller as well?

- do I use the Export/Import buttons to move all my alerts to each poller and then edit them as necessary to make them specific to the elements on that poller, or is alerting handled by the primary poller alone?

- what other tasks must I accomplish to bring the additional pollers completely online?

Thank you so much for any guidance.

• What versions are you on?

If 10.1 and above you download and install the Orion Additional Poller and Orion Additional Web package and run those.  

• Brandon,

I got that you download and run those packages.  Is there anything additional that needs to be done?  Freemen asked the following:

For the Additional Polling Engines I see on page 137 of the NPM Admin Guide that I must copy six files from the Orion directory to each additional poller in order to port the custom properties from the primary. I have the following questions:

- do I copy reports to each additional poller as well?

- do I use the Export/Import buttons to move all my alerts to each poller and then edit them as necessary to make them specific to the elements on that poller, or is alerting handled by the primary poller alone?

- what other tasks must I accomplish to bring the additional pollers completely online?

I'm in the same boat and would appreciate your addressing them as well.  Thanks!

Regards,

Robert

• Based on my experience, I believe the following would answer those issues:

1.  You should only need the reports on any server running the Orion website.  The additional  pollers don't need the reports on them for the reports to run properly.

2. If they are advanced alerts you won't need to do anything else for alerts to work correctly for nodes assigned to the additional pollers.  However, if they are basic alerts I belive you'll have to rebuild them on each additional polling engine.

I think that's about all you need to get the additional pollers up and running. 

Geoffrey

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to bshopp

Brandon-

We have purchased the Additional Web Server and are on 10.1. I cannot find any documentation on this anywhere on the Customer Portal and I don't want to have to download the software (yet) in order to gain the documentation. Could someone please send me a link to where the documentation is?  I need to know how this functions and what kind of preparation we need to do!  

Please help!

Thanks,

Mike Bain

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to pacetti

Thank you, it does, however, I have more questions!   :)

1. Does this add any kind of load-balancing between this instance and my existing Orion server or are we responsible for doing that?

1A. Can anyone provide me with some load-balancing scenarios?  I am thinking we will use our existing F5/BigIP Environment to do this, if need be.  

2. Can anyone share with me their experience about this confusing line from the documentation:   " Note: If you have multiple Orion products installed on your main Orion server, to ensure full functionality, install the Additional Web Server for each product. "

So, given that I have NPM, APM, IPAM, NCM, and Netflow, do I need to install the web server again each time on the same server for each one of these modules, if I want my customers to be able to see all modules transparently, no matter where the load-balancer sends them?  The docs are slightly fuzzy about that! 

Thanks Much!

Mike

• Mike,

To answer your questions:

1. An additional web server does not provide any explicit load-balancing, at least not in the sense that an additional polling engine does, allowing you to explicitly assign nodes to different polling engines. An AWS simply allows you to move the web console functions elsewhere.
    2. Each module has its own AWS requirements to ensure that corresponding data is shared. The latest additional web server package has all required installers, as well as a document indicating the recommended order of installation. Yes, you will need to each installer corresponding to each module to which you want to grant user access.
    HTH,

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to pacetti

Hello-

Thanks, this answers a lot!  I  appreciate it.

One more question:  Has anyone here used the original Orion server and the AWS to setup a load-balanced situation with an F5?

Also: Is it ok to have the AWS as a virtual instance while still keeping the Orion server as a physical?

Thanks!

Mike B.

• Mike,

Unfortunately, i can't help you with the F5 setup, but I can tell you that you should not have any problem running your AWS on a virtual machine, if your VM meets the minimum requirements laid out in "Requirements for Virtual Machines and Servers" in the SolarWinds Orion NPM Administrator Guide.

HTH,