This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

High ping response time with Symantec anti virus enabled

I've noticed very high response times on all my nodes and have been trying to isolate the cause. When I ping the nodes from other machines, the response times are all 1ms or less. Pinging from the solarwinds server got me averages of 25ms+ with spikes over 500ms.

After lots of troubleshooting, for some reason I decided to disable Symantec Endpoint Protection and magically all the pings went to 1ms or less.

I do not want to leave anti virus disabled for obvious reasons, so I need to find a work around for this issue. Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Personally I have not experienced the same issue with Symantec running on my Solarwinds polling servers.

• I'd suggest disabling the Symantec firewall integrated into the product. I've run into a similar issue with Trend Micro OfficeScan. Disable the service (if any) and remove (uninstall/disable) any Symantec network firewall driver located in the network adapter properties. You should be able to leave the Antivirus running without an issue, although you might want to exclude the root Orion directory since this is where many Orion log files are created which might add A/V scanning overhead. The root cause of your issue I believe is the bundled firewall which has been designed for clients, and not a server. Most certainly not a polling engine which is opening hundreds of UDP/ICMP connections a second.

• I didn't have the firewall running on the symantec client. I added all Solarwinds folders and services to the exclusion list for active scanning, but still had high ping response times.

So then I updated the Symantec Endpoint Client from version 11.0.4000 to 11.0.4202 and this has fixed the issue. Must have been a bug in their software.