This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Linux disk size issues

Orion reports disk space differently than Linux and I'd like to get them to match.

For example, Linux says a volume on one of our servers is 141GB (in 1K blocks).  Orion says the same volume is 134.5GB.  I assume the differenc is in 1,024 versus 1,000.  Is there a way to change this on Orion so that I can set alerts properly?

~q

• Possibly some workarounds here; 

• I saw those but I'm not sure that helps.  I need my alerts to be triggered based on what Linux is reporting, not what Solarwinds is reporting.

If I do a df -k I see that /d02 on server X is currently 54% used.  If check solarwinds right now it says /d02 on server X is currently 50%.

So if I say "Alert me when /d02 on server X is > 98% full" the disk will fill up before Solarwinds alerts anybody (Solarwinds will think it's at roughly 96% when it's actually 100%).  So the only alert I'll get is the one telling me Oracle crashed because the mount point for the data files filled up.

There's got to be a way to mesh these things.  Even if it means a snmpd.conf file change. 

~q 

•  By any chance are some of these FreeBSD? We have this issue lalso as you describe here with alerts. This is due to a 'fudge factor' that BSD reports on it's hard drives. Very odd. I've had to change around our % values to get it more accurate.

• I had the same issue. Oracle crashed because of this!