This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

What are some of the more creative ways you use Custom Properties?

I hope to start an interesting exchange on various ways that SolarWinds users employ custom properties.

What "workarounds" have you done that used a custom property as an integral part of the solution?

Those of us that have been working with SolarWinds for even a short time know all to well how useful the custom property can be. So, what are your stories and use cases?

Let's hear them?

Parents
  • I've got them all over the place...

Mute(Object) - allows me to not alert, while still monitoring (feature being worked on currently - natively - woohoo)

BHOnly - bit - allows me to alert only during business hours (static 7a-8p currently)

Dept on all objects - we email ticketing system and this allows me to assign to correct group...don't use AlertCentral b/c our Ops team monitors alerts in such a way...

SSL expiration monitoring - appalias is used for common name of cert which backend SQL scripts work with ticket system and Orion reporting.

AlertEmail, StakeholderEmail, TicketEmail - CPs for email addresses for alerts to get sent to.

Realm - used to indicate production, staging, development, qa, etc...  Ops has custom view that shows only critical production alerts - they act on those regardless of time of day.  Others in staging or production generate ticket if "TicketEmail" is set for the ticket system email addr.

Much of my CPs are designed to keep alerting manageable.  I try to keep the alerts as general as possible while still fulfilling the needs and giving the engineers useful information.

tons more...  really, you have to figure out what your environment requires, the business needs are, and what will provide further useful automation; then figure out how best to do that with custom properties.

1. Mute(Object) - allows me to not alert, while still monitoring (feature being worked on currently - natively - woohoo)
    2. BHOnly - bit - allows me to alert only during business hours (static 7a-8p currently)
    3. AlertEmail, StakeholderEmail, TicketEmail - CPs for email addresses for alerts to get sent to.
  • Sure.

Mute:

so for Node, I have a bit CP and text CP for Node,CPU,Memory (MuteCPU,MuteCPUComment, etc...)

Pretty much all of my alerts have some "standard for our env." settings starting with:

WHERE

Nodes.MuteNode=0 AND

In the Trigger Action, I have in the TO:

${N=General;M=DefaultEmailTo} and ${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomProperties.AlertEmail}

etc.. for CC and BCC - if I want the alert to email ticket system, this goes in BCC section ${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomProperties.TicketEmail}.

In the application custom properties of a given app, I fill out the emails desired separated by semicolon (I think comma works, but test).

I have the TicketEmail as a drop down so no one inadvertently misspells/types.

for the BHOnly (Business Hours Only), I added some logic to the alert trigger (custom SQL) for only our critical alerts (that is only thing our ops calls on).

This is for an application b/c you see it checks for app and node CP.

WHERE

AND

-- business hours addition

(CASE WHEN (APM_ApplicationCustomProperties.BHOnly=1 OR Nodes.BHOnly=1) THEN CASE

WHEN DATEPART(hh,GETDATE()) BETWEEN 7 AND 19 --7am to 7:59:59pm

AND DATEPART(dw,GETDATE()) BETWEEN 2 and 6 -- M-F

THEN 1

ELSE 0

END

ELSE 1 --trigger b/c not BHOnly

END

)=1

it won't let me attach something here, but message me w/ your email if you want examples.

• Sure.

Mute:

so for Node, I have a bit CP and text CP for Node,CPU,Memory (MuteCPU,MuteCPUComment, etc...)

Pretty much all of my alerts have some "standard for our env." settings starting with:

WHERE

Nodes.MuteNode=0 AND

In the Trigger Action, I have in the TO:

${N=General;M=DefaultEmailTo} and ${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomProperties.AlertEmail}

etc.. for CC and BCC - if I want the alert to email ticket system, this goes in BCC section ${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomProperties.TicketEmail}.

In the application custom properties of a given app, I fill out the emails desired separated by semicolon (I think comma works, but test).

I have the TicketEmail as a drop down so no one inadvertently misspells/types.

for the BHOnly (Business Hours Only), I added some logic to the alert trigger (custom SQL) for only our critical alerts (that is only thing our ops calls on).

This is for an application b/c you see it checks for app and node CP.

WHERE

AND

-- business hours addition

(CASE WHEN (APM_ApplicationCustomProperties.BHOnly=1 OR Nodes.BHOnly=1) THEN CASE

WHEN DATEPART(hh,GETDATE()) BETWEEN 7 AND 19 --7am to 7:59:59pm

AND DATEPART(dw,GETDATE()) BETWEEN 2 and 6 -- M-F

THEN 1

ELSE 0

END

ELSE 1 --trigger b/c not BHOnly

END

)=1

it won't let me attach something here, but message me w/ your email if you want examples.

Children
No Data