This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

What are some of the more creative ways you use Custom Properties?

I hope to start an interesting exchange on various ways that SolarWinds users employ custom properties.

What "workarounds" have you done that used a custom property as an integral part of the solution?

Those of us that have been working with SolarWinds for even a short time know all to well how useful the custom property can be. So, what are your stories and use cases?

Let's hear them?

Parents
  • Oh man, these are core foundation for the entire framework. I have not many of them, but I do believe that 99% of stuff can be automated just be using custom properties AND ... it is easy to do from the user perspective, which leads to much fewer mistakes and more robust, reliable and consistent monitoring environment

For example:

• SiteID. Once picked, we will then display full information about particular site on the node page + we will automatically adjust latency + we will automatically place node on the world map + we will automatically calculate dependencies
    • Environment and Impact are two custom properties that we use to filter out any alerting noise. We only send alerts in for production machines and/or high impact server.
    • Almost any possible threshold has been implemented with custom properties being an overrides, such as overrides for Disk Queue Length, Disk Latency, Interface Discards, Interface Errors, CPU and many more. Many overrides are already there as part of standard Orion platform, but I found that we always in need for more granularity and flexibility and Custom Properties is a Magic
    • I also use them for reminders, for muting mechanisms, for notification purpose, and on and on
    • Many of them we use just for information - notes, contacts, phone numbers, warranty, PO, etc
    • And obviously this one tells it all

If I were to unswer what is the gratest invention on the XXI century - I would give my vote to Custom Properties within SolarWinds emoticons_wink.png

• What do you mean by this specifically?  Do you have a custom view that displays metrics of each site?  I have wanted to do something similar to make 'Site Views', but wasn't sure on the correct approach. 

Reply Children