This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Terrible support, terrible product.

I'm sure this post will be deleted long before it influences any potential customers. Too bad. For the lucky few who read this as you consider a purchase of Solarwinds products, you are hereby warned.

Imagine a support organization that answers open tickets infrequently, and when they do, it's after hours. Imagine dealing with squirrely software that requires constant patching, and that the patches constantly induce unstable behavior in other modules. Imagine spending money on a product that requires a HUGE investment of time and energy to maintain.

We've been using Orion NPM since November. It has been unstable for months. Here's the support routine:

Open a ticket.

Wait until after 5:00 pm to get an e-mail response asking for a 200 Mb diagnostic.

Upload diagnostic the next day. Wait until after business hours for a response.

Apply suggested solution. It doesn't work. Respond.  Wait until after business hours for a response. Nothing back. Give up. reboot the server. Problem temporarily goes away.

The pinheads who run support will no doubt take issue with the specifics. An e-mail wasn't received, Leapfile somehow lost the upload, but the point is true - this is not a stable product, and support is not worth waiting for much less paying for. Run now and select something else for network monitoring.

Parents
  • Spudnet,

I am not a SolarWinds employee.  I am a SolarWinds user and our company is a Partner with SolarWinds for Training, Sales, Consulting, and Services.

I would very much like to see if there is anything that our organization can do to assist you with the challenges you've faced.

My direct cell phone number is:  918-724-5622.  I carry it with me 24x7x365.  If I don't answer, it is because I'm otherwise engaged, but leave a message and I'll get back with you in a timely manner.

Sincerely,

Jay R. Cummings

• Spudnet,

I am not a SolarWinds employee.  I am a SolarWinds user and our company is a Partner with SolarWinds for Training, Sales, Consulting, and Services.

I would very much like to see if there is anything that our organization can do to assist you with the challenges you've faced.

My direct cell phone number is:  918-724-5622.  I carry it with me 24x7x365.  If I don't answer, it is because I'm otherwise engaged, but leave a message and I'll get back with you in a timely manner.

Sincerely,

Jay R. Cummings

Children
  • I am also a SW customer and I have very few issues with my SW applications.  They can take a bit of time to get everything the way you want, but I think it is worth it to be able to keep that good of an eye on hundreds of systems (some people even have thousands).

My biggest issue was an OS problem.  When running sfc, and there were a ton of files that were off, so I built a new OS, installed the application and restored the DB and everything was working great!