This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert Issue (AlertCaption)

We've ben tracking an issue where the name of the object in the alert does not match the current name of an object.

(pedantically we use the IP address for our edge switches, when they renumber the name changes)

the AlertObject table doesn't track changes in caption, and it's the value initially stored in that table that gets displayed in the ActiveAlerts / AllAlerts widget.

Try this database query in your environment to find nodes where the alert captions will not match the [current] node name.

select AO.EntityCaption,AO.RelatedNodeCaption,N.Caption
FROM [dbo].[AlertObjects] AO inner join nodes N on
AO.relatednodeid=N.Nodeid
and AO.EntityType='Orion.Nodes'
where  AO.EntityCaption<>N.Caption or AO.RelatedNodeCaption<>N.Caption
and N.unmanaged=0

Version: 12.0.1

Bug report being filed with SW Support

Parents
  • Note: this bug is still there in NPM 12.1 and 12.2

in our upgrade the server names were changed, and staff started troubleshooting alerts on inactive SolarWinds servers.

Also need to fix the engine names

Update AO 
        Set AO.EntityCaption=E.ServerName
        FROM [dbo].[AlertObjects] AO , Engines E
        WHERE AO.EntityCaption<>e.ServerName
            and  AO.EntityType='Orion.Engines'
            and  ':'+cast(E.EngineID  as varchar) = EntityNetObjectID  ;
  • Bug is still there in 12.4 as well.

it had always bugged me that i changed the names and they weren't reflected in all areas, i didn't realise how bad it was until l ran your select query and found over 2000 node entries ( i took your interface update and changed it to a select and have 30 entries).

I'm torn between running your provided select statements and leaving as is just in case it causes further damage.

Engine names: Be careful with this one if you have HA running as the Engine names change dependant on active poller.

Thanks for the information and the fixes though.

• Bug is still there in 12.4 as well.

it had always bugged me that i changed the names and they weren't reflected in all areas, i didn't realise how bad it was until l ran your select query and found over 2000 node entries ( i took your interface update and changed it to a select and have 30 entries).

I'm torn between running your provided select statements and leaving as is just in case it causes further damage.

Engine names: Be careful with this one if you have HA running as the Engine names change dependant on active poller.

Thanks for the information and the fixes though.

Children
No Data