This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SNMP Polling Meraki Devices (NPM +12.0/11.0.1) - How To

Edit (8/14/18):

Updated device list.  Thank you for input and tests on other models!

Edit (10/4/17):

Poll the nodes directly via Solarwinds.  You must define the SNMP details on the Meraki dashboard (see how-to steps below).

Meraki Document for the curious: Monitoring the Wireless Network - Cisco Meraki

Background:

Thousands of Meraki devices needed to be added to Solarwinds for my situation, and so the hunt began.  First stop was Meraki for some help, which led me to this document: https://docs.meraki.com/download/attachments/13500458/ConfigurationGuide-Meraki-SolarwindsSNMP%20(2).pdf?version=1&modif…  (Deprecated.)The document's instructions weren't for the implementation that I was looking for, and that document was all I could find in online.  What I needed was to poll the devices directly instead of through the dashboard.  When I followed Meraki's document for alerting, it wasn't what I was looking for.  Passing relevant information to the alerts wasn't available, based on Meraki's instructions.  Eventually, I accidentally stumbled upon the answer, and now looking back it seems so simple emoticons_silly.png.

How-To Steps:

• On the SolarWinds Network Discovery page, create a new discovery
  • Use the SNMP string that was input on each Meraki network under Network-wide>General or Configure>Alerts & administration (located on Meraki's dashboard) and click ‘next’
    • SNMP settings include the version (V1/V2c), and a SNMP string.  They are located under 'Reporting'
    • Meraki SNMP.png
  • Uncheck ‘poll for VMware’ and click next
  • Uncheck ‘add to NCM’ and click next
  • Click ‘next’ on the windows credentials page
  • Paste in your Meraki IPs and click on ‘next’
  • Set the Discovery name and click on ‘next’
  • Set your discovery schedule and click on ‘discover’
  • Select the Meraki device interfaces you’d like to import and click ‘next’
    • Selecting the advanced options section can help for picking out specific interfaces.
  • Click ‘next’ on the volume type page.
  • Click ‘import’ on the import preview page.
    • Wait for the import to finish before clicking on ‘finish’

Results:

Here's a Meraki MX80 that's been added.

MX80 SW Node.png

Here's an MR16 that's been added:

MR16 SW Node.png

After the nodes have been added, I setup alerts and they'll be able to pull helpful information (Hostname, IP, Custom Properties, etc.) when an event happens. emoticons_happy.png

Misc. Info:

Version info: NPM 11.0.1

Devices I've tested unless otherwise noted:

Firewalls

MX80

MX65 shannon.raymond

MX100 michael.kent

MX400

Wireless Access Points

MR16

MR18

MR24 michael.kent

MR32 kwameb87

MR42

Switches

MS22P

MS42P michael.kent

-

MS220 kwameb87

MS250 mlinsemier_tdc

MS320 kwameb87

MS350 kwameb87

MS350-24x mlinsemier_tdc

MS420 kwameb87

MS425 mlinsemier_tdc

Remote/Teleworker

Z3 mlinsemier_tdc

Z3C mlinsemier_tdc

Current issues:

From the screenshots you can see that the Last Boot date isn't correct, however that isn't a pressing issue for me.

I hope this will help some of you, and feel free to ask questions. emoticons_happy.png

I'll be adding updates as more info comes in, so feel free to post what you have run into.

Message was edited by: Naters

Parents
  • Thanks for the info..Hopefully SolarWinds will get the rest of the information the Merakis provide soon... You can only get very basic information for the APs. It doesn't show the connected clients which according to Meraki support they have provided but Solarwinds is not grabbing for some reason.

• Thanks for the info..Hopefully SolarWinds will get the rest of the information the Merakis provide soon... You can only get very basic information for the APs. It doesn't show the connected clients which according to Meraki support they have provided but Solarwinds is not grabbing for some reason.

Children