This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alerting on "vCenter Status" under "Virtual Center Details" Resource

I was working on setting some Advanced Alerts through Alerts Manager for our VM Hosts and was wondering how I can create an alert when the "vCenter Status" goes down or cannot be polled?  I am not seeing anything related to vSphere or VMWare under the "Type of Property to Monitor" on the Trigger Alert tab.  Is this under another category? 

Thanks

Parents
  • I know it's been 4 years but I'm looking for this as well. We are currently having some issues with LDAP for the vCenter and I would like to create an alert each time vCenter status is "Could not Poll". The vCenter server itself is up.

pastedImage_0.png

• Looking in to this after an incident end of last week. We discovered datastore alerting previously configured and working failed because a vcenter had permissions for the monitoring account access changed: Still Read Only but had changed to be only for 'This Object' and not for 'This Object and it's children' which is what worked previously.

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 10.31.05.png

Not a SW caused issue but SW was blind by the permissions screw up on that vCenter.

How to alert if that happens again? I also can not find anyway to monitor on that vcenter going unknown status. As per SW instruction, the vcenter is only polled via ICMP and everything else is via VMWare creds.

The only workaround I have found so far is that if that cred goes away again, I can trigger on soemthing else going unknown, clusters or datastores, not on the vcenter itself. This is messy as instead of one, 'fix this alert, I'll end up triggering potentially 50, 'fix something else' alerts.

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 10.41.56.png

Does anyone have a better way?

• Looking in to this after an incident end of last week. We discovered datastore alerting previously configured and working failed because a vcenter had permissions for the monitoring account access changed: Still Read Only but had changed to be only for 'This Object' and not for 'This Object and it's children' which is what worked previously.

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 10.31.05.png

Not a SW caused issue but SW was blind by the permissions screw up on that vCenter.

How to alert if that happens again? I also can not find anyway to monitor on that vcenter going unknown status. As per SW instruction, the vcenter is only polled via ICMP and everything else is via VMWare creds.

The only workaround I have found so far is that if that cred goes away again, I can trigger on soemthing else going unknown, clusters or datastores, not on the vcenter itself. This is messy as instead of one, 'fix this alert, I'll end up triggering potentially 50, 'fix something else' alerts.

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 10.41.56.png

Does anyone have a better way?

Children
No Data