This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to gather "show tech" info from Cisco switch based on threshold

_alHello All,

I'm trying to find a way to gather "show tech" info from a group of Cisco switches once they reach a certain cpu utilization threshold. I know I can set up an advanced alert in NPM, and select a Triggered Action-->External Program, but I'm not that handy with writing scripts. Is there a simpler way to do this with NPM and NCM?

We have Catalyst 4500 model switches that randomly have very high cpu conditions that only clear with a reboot, so we are trying to capture the state of the switch ("show tech" output) when the condition occurs. 

Thanks!

DW

Parents
  • Hi DW,

Just a sidenote here --  you should keep in mind that running show-tech is a CPU intensive process, so running this while your CPU is pegged could potentially compound the issue.   I would pare it back a little and set your script to grab a copy of 'show proc' or 'show platform health' instead, but that's up to you.

As to how to do this, NPM has the option to execute an NCM action as a trigger action.  I think you just need to choose this item as your trigger action, then enter your config script elements and you should be set.

Good luck!

Brandon

• Brandon,

I don't see "execute an NPM action" listed as an option, but I haven't installed NCM yet. Are you saying that I will have this as an option once NCM is installed? Thanks.

Dave

Reply Children