This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How do I monitor Linux CPU but not memory?

ver 8.5.1

'CPU and Memory Utilization' seems to be the only option. This causes all our Linux boxes to show up on the top 10 Memory reports since it allocates most RAM to buffers & is not a useful measurement. I still do want to monitor CPU on Linux, but I only care about free buffers from the memory side. Is there any way to have Orion only monitor CPU?

TIA 

• FYI, we just put in a feature request to disable auto-discovery of "shared memory" and "cached memory" from Linux systems.  Please upvote if you find this feature request useful.

Link: thwack.solarwinds.com/.../inhibit-the-auto-discovery-of-cached-memory-and-shared-memory-in-linux-systems

• You need to read and digest the contents of : Help, Linux Ate my RAM! - and apologies if you already know this.

Once you do, then you need to create a custom poller for your device(s) that does an "actually in use" memory calculation. Then you apply the poller to the relevant nodes **, and then you can monitor both CPU and RAM quite happily.

** I have found one poller per manufacturer seems to work - so all our Fortinets have one poller for this, but our Checkpoints need a different one, as do F5's, etc ...

You'll need to know the relevant OIDs for the device in question - as a minimum you will need the OIDs for CPU and then the OIDs for 'System Memory Usage' [fgSysMemUsage] and ' System Memory Capacity' [fgSysMemCapacity] and then you need to do a calculation - in the case of a Fortinet that calculation would look like:

Truncate(([fgSysMemCapacity] * 1024) * ([fgSysMemUsage] / 100))

You can actually test this against a node as you build the poller and if you have SSH access you can run the equivalent memory command to confirm your results. The test would look like: 

The yellow highlight is the %age of RAM in actual use at that time of the test.

Hope this helps - any questions please shout.