Maximum # of Polling Engines

I have a growing SolarWinds Orion NPM environment that I am working in.  Can somebody help me understand the Maximum number of Polling Engines, including the primary server, that I can home to a single Orion NPM database?

Thank you,

Jason Henson

Loop1 Systems

http://www.Loop1Systems.com/

• Effectively, "as many as you want". NPM is not limited by pollers but by elements. Currently that limit sits at around 110,000 (that's the official number I got from sales about 8 months ago). I know that version 10.6 is looking to up that limit.

We've got 10 pollers (1 primary, 9 additional) PLUS an additional web server, and it's all running just fine.

Hope that helps.

- Leon

• This environment could work its way up to 15 servers total if we scale it in the traditional sense.  We here, at Loop1 Systems, have heard SolarWinds will support for up to 12 servers on a single database and we have heard that there is a limit but I don't have a solid answer on 12 being that limit or if we can push that number and still receive support from SolarWinds.

Thanks,

Jason Henson

Loop1 Systems

http://www.Loop1Systems.com/

• Again, I asked the specific question about poller limits and was told there is none. The only limitation in terms of support-ability is elements. Once you get beyond 110,000 support starts to give you grief.

• Jason,

Adatole is correct, the limiting factor here is effectively element count at ~100k.

• Do these numbers change with regards to modules such as NTA and SAM? What happens when you throw in 1000+ Netflow sources and a vast ALX environment? If the bottleneck is your SQL DB, it seems that by increasing traffic to the back-end, this should impact these numbers.

• Adotole, if you don't mind sharing; what is your SQL (specifically storage) running on?

Thanks

• I can tell you from experience going over the recommended environment is not suggested.  The maximum number of recommended pollers is 1 primary SLX and 5 additional polling engines.  I tried to add a 6th additional engine and the polling completion went down tremendously once each engine was at max element capacity.  The SQL database server was a powerhouse; however, performance problems did occur with the 7th engine installed.  My recommendation is to build a second environment if you need over 6 polling engines.

• I'll check. The DBA's keep that as a closely-guarded secret, but if I ply them with beer and chocolate I may be able to get them to crack.

• I don't want to be a naysayer (but.. you know I'm gonna). We're at 11 total servers right now:

1 poller

9 additional pollers

1 additional web server

The pollers are split up:

primary + 3 additional pollers plus database in datacenter 1 in EST timezone

1 additional poller in DMZ in EST timezone (still datacenter 1, but worth noting)

4 additional pollers plus additional webserver in datacenter 2 in CST timezone

1 additional poller in DMZ in CST timezone (still datacenter 2, but worth noting)

There have been NO performance issues we can find in this regard. Pollers are running 65-80% of NPM polling rate, and have between 7-11k elements each

All pollers are virtual, have 8 2.8Ghz CPU with 16Gb RAM

The database server is a monster - physical box, 32 3.3Ghz CPU, 128Gb RAM. But it's also running another (very very large and intensive database) so all that power isn't mine. Yet.

• Rob,

So if we are scoping the total limitation of the deployment and need to know how to balance the server, is the 1000 elements per minute polling capacity still true for a single Orion NPM server?