This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How can I get a simple interface availability report?

My Patience  is running low. I'm exhausted and shouldn't have to pull my sql admin for every report I need. Days and hours trying to write what are really simple reports shouldn't be like pulling teeth.

Pain points that even our sql admin couldn't get past are:

1. Timestamp column. We couldn't find one.

2. Availability percentage. The table we found listed either 100% or 0% not an actual accurate percentage.

3. Connection between tables. When you need to grab data from different tables you need to find a common point like interface id. Sometimes the common point is not on all tables.

We found a query in the old report writer that shows the availability using sum functions among other things. But my sql admin couldn't find a way to narrow the list down to specific interfaces during a specific time. After 2 days we gave up because we where going no where. A call to solarwinds resulted in them saying to open a feature request which I have done. A thwack search yield another  query that was designed by another user and this one we got closer, but could not get useful data approved by management as they indicated the information wasn't useful to them.

What we where looking for is simple. One column for interface name (MPLS interfaces), Filtered for the last 7 days, another column with time stamp and availability. We are trying to figure out which MPLS interfaces need maintenance and may need upgrade and thus far network team has had to rely on other tools as solarwinds has not met their needs. Every time they ask me for a report they wait 1 week while I try to figure out how to get it completed involve the write people only to get frustrated when I have to turn around and say that report is not possible. It angers me and makes me want to tell my upper management to ditch this software and go with a different solution.

I am looking for help as I'm pretty sure we aren't the only company looking for interface reports. And we will be thankful to anyone who can either share a report they have or a query that we can run for our own reporting. And if you can recommend third party reporting that can better help us put reports together that would be golden for us. We've been really struggling with our teams losing trust in solarwinds when we have to turn around and tell them reports they want can't be completed.

Thanks!

Parents
  • Great information indeed. I myself have been using web reporting. it's just that 90% of the time I can't get the data 120% accurate to what I wanted exactly. It's always close enough. Then I would have to take that data and format it in excel or whatever the case was at the time. This got rather annoying. So I would jump here on thwack. Spend at least a good 2 hours or so scrolling through entries and looking at what other people have attempted. Some times I find answers and other times I don't.

I try support. But they are useless for customization which I don't blame them. They are there for break fix. And google search is just like thwack. Sometimes works other times it doesn't.

What I was looking for is for example. 10/15/2017 MPLS 100MB 10am 100%, 11am 100%, 12pm 89%, 1pm 50%, 2pm 100% and so on. Or if it's based on 0 100 which is fine also. How long was it at 0 and how long was it up, with a daily average of availability.  And for the life of me I couldn't get this done even with custom sql queries.

I personally have the old report writer. But I figured what the hack. I got nothing to lose peeking in there. Found a query with a sum function that hit the average spot on filtered by the time frame exactly like we needed. But since it's sql I couldn't tell it to look for 7 days and I couldn't specify specific interfaces.

Marc is the man! He's been able to help through a few tough spots and that's great.  I'll give you all an update after trying the above. And thank you all so much for the help. This is amazing , and appreciated.

• Great information indeed. I myself have been using web reporting. it's just that 90% of the time I can't get the data 120% accurate to what I wanted exactly. It's always close enough. Then I would have to take that data and format it in excel or whatever the case was at the time. This got rather annoying. So I would jump here on thwack. Spend at least a good 2 hours or so scrolling through entries and looking at what other people have attempted. Some times I find answers and other times I don't.

I try support. But they are useless for customization which I don't blame them. They are there for break fix. And google search is just like thwack. Sometimes works other times it doesn't.

What I was looking for is for example. 10/15/2017 MPLS 100MB 10am 100%, 11am 100%, 12pm 89%, 1pm 50%, 2pm 100% and so on. Or if it's based on 0 100 which is fine also. How long was it at 0 and how long was it up, with a daily average of availability.  And for the life of me I couldn't get this done even with custom sql queries.

I personally have the old report writer. But I figured what the hack. I got nothing to lose peeking in there. Found a query with a sum function that hit the average spot on filtered by the time frame exactly like we needed. But since it's sql I couldn't tell it to look for 7 days and I couldn't specify specific interfaces.

Marc is the man! He's been able to help through a few tough spots and that's great.  I'll give you all an update after trying the above. And thank you all so much for the help. This is amazing , and appreciated.

Children
No Data