This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How can I get a simple interface availability report?

My Patience  is running low. I'm exhausted and shouldn't have to pull my sql admin for every report I need. Days and hours trying to write what are really simple reports shouldn't be like pulling teeth.

Pain points that even our sql admin couldn't get past are:

1. Timestamp column. We couldn't find one.

2. Availability percentage. The table we found listed either 100% or 0% not an actual accurate percentage.

3. Connection between tables. When you need to grab data from different tables you need to find a common point like interface id. Sometimes the common point is not on all tables.

We found a query in the old report writer that shows the availability using sum functions among other things. But my sql admin couldn't find a way to narrow the list down to specific interfaces during a specific time. After 2 days we gave up because we where going no where. A call to solarwinds resulted in them saying to open a feature request which I have done. A thwack search yield another  query that was designed by another user and this one we got closer, but could not get useful data approved by management as they indicated the information wasn't useful to them.

What we where looking for is simple. One column for interface name (MPLS interfaces), Filtered for the last 7 days, another column with time stamp and availability. We are trying to figure out which MPLS interfaces need maintenance and may need upgrade and thus far network team has had to rely on other tools as solarwinds has not met their needs. Every time they ask me for a report they wait 1 week while I try to figure out how to get it completed involve the write people only to get frustrated when I have to turn around and say that report is not possible. It angers me and makes me want to tell my upper management to ditch this software and go with a different solution.

I am looking for help as I'm pretty sure we aren't the only company looking for interface reports. And we will be thankful to anyone who can either share a report they have or a query that we can run for our own reporting. And if you can recommend third party reporting that can better help us put reports together that would be golden for us. We've been really struggling with our teams losing trust in solarwinds when we have to turn around and tell them reports they want can't be completed.

Thanks!

Parents
  • Hello,

Let me preface this by saying I'm relatively new to sw and basically know nothing. However sometimes new eyes can help, in reportwriter I find I can write a report on static objects such as interfaces, group them by node for datasource 1, select availability as the metric and % as the outcome over the last 7 days. I then select time period (in my case I chose every 15 minutes) then show all records and submit. This brings me to a chart (if you're looking for columns this might not be what you're looking for but there are other platforms available in reportwriter) which has my selected interfaces, the availability in % with a timestamp every 3 hours (which i'm sure you can probably narrow down). This was a relatively simple creation so it may not be at all what you're looking for. Hope it helps a bit. You're also definitely not the only company looking for interface reports.

• Hello,

Let me preface this by saying I'm relatively new to sw and basically know nothing. However sometimes new eyes can help, in reportwriter I find I can write a report on static objects such as interfaces, group them by node for datasource 1, select availability as the metric and % as the outcome over the last 7 days. I then select time period (in my case I chose every 15 minutes) then show all records and submit. This brings me to a chart (if you're looking for columns this might not be what you're looking for but there are other platforms available in reportwriter) which has my selected interfaces, the availability in % with a timestamp every 3 hours (which i'm sure you can probably narrow down). This was a relatively simple creation so it may not be at all what you're looking for. Hope it helps a bit. You're also definitely not the only company looking for interface reports.

Children
  • I'll give this a try and see what type of data out put I get. But we may need more. Thank you though for your response.

• Cool, let me know if it helps you out. Also depending on your SLA, availability over 7 days might not be the best metric to use to warrant maintenance as typically you'd be measuring the actual path availability the circuit is currently routing over (with MPLS) which may be inaccurate over 7 days? You might consider using a 30 day trend and unless you're trying to find out at what specific times of day a circuit is degraded or out, you might be able to get away with something even more simple depending on what kind of maintenance youre performing. For instance, if you go into reportwriter and use the report: interface downtime summarized - 7 days, it will tell you simply all the interfaces on your nodes and the total time in duration of minutes that each has been either up down or unavailable, which might even be more detailed than what youre currently trying to do.

It ends up looking something like this:

RTR1 Tunnel1statusminutes
    RTR1 Tunnel1

Up

RTR1 Tunnel1

Down

RTR1 Tunnel1

Down

RTR1 Tunnel1

Unreachable

RTR1 Tunnel1

Unreachable

In this case Tunnel 1 was unreachable for 3 minutes, down for 3, and up for 170 - obviously over 30 days and across your enclave you might see all kinds of interfaces that are just completely out of whack or many that just say theyve been up for however many thousands of minutes.