This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Nodes with multiple IP's best practice

Does Solarwinds have a recommended or best practice way to monitor a node (Windows server) with multiple IP's?  It could be multiple IP's on one or more physical adapters, or a single IP's on multiple physical adapters.

Thanks,
David

• DanielleH,

I've searched the entire Thwack site and see no updates since 2012 on this subject.

Is there and update on the" handling of devices with multiple IPs"?  Roadmap comment is 3 years old and just wondering where SW is on this subject.

To poll multiple IP assigned to a single device, I have to create a totally separate object for each IP in the NPM DB.  Still a bit cumbersome.

If this is actually already, or should I say, still on the road map, what is status and expected roll out?  i.e. with what version of NPM and when?

As always, your assistance with information request or directing me to the correct POC is always appreciated!

BSpencer

• Better handling of multiple contexts / multiple IPs / SNMP responders on a single device is still on our radar to address. Unfortunately priorities shuffled previously and we did not make forward progress on this. For the moment, each IP would need to be added as a separate object.

• rob.hock,

Thanks for the update!  Really looking forward to this being available...

BSpencer

• Hi,

Has there been any progress on "Better handling of multiple contexts / multiple IPs / SNMP responders on a single device"

Pete

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mborofc

Hi,

I am running with the same problem where due to DHCP/PPPOE, all my firewalls are reaching to LEM with dynamic IP and hence LEM is detecting it as different nodes every time the IP changes. Is there any way, we can see all the IP for same Node at a single place by enabling any filter or creating group and then assigning rules to the single entity?

• Any update here?

We are having the same issue when monitoring an Ironport appliance with multiple listeners.

When trying to use APM to monitor SMTP on all of these listeners, we only can add the monitor on the polling IP (which of course is not one of the listeners IP's that responds to SMTP messages).

Solutions per now is to add 2x9 (18!) listener-adresses as separate Orion-objects. Our environment is a quite small environment, so I guess the big customers would LOVE this feature.

BR a small local ISP.

• It would also help drawing good NetPath diagrams!

Just because NetPath gets different IPs from some routers (you can test that with a traceroute), it needs a node for every IP of the same device (routers and firewalls, in my case).

That's not really cool!

For Netpaths to my retail stores, I had to define 3 nodes for the same router...