This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Nodes with multiple IP's best practice

Does Solarwinds have a recommended or best practice way to monitor a node (Windows server) with multiple IP's?  It could be multiple IP's on one or more physical adapters, or a single IP's on multiple physical adapters.

Thanks,
David

Parents Reply Children
  • It would be best if all IP's were located under the node view of a device.  Is this an option that is on Solarwinds radar? 

• On the NPM roadmap, handling multiple IPs is listed. Not sure what that means.... However,
    What I do a setup all IPs in NPM. I edit the Node Name (caption) of the secondard IPs and give a dash interface name.

I do network stuff, so some devices have active passive pairs with a virtual IP. I actually manage the interfaces in the virtual IP since is will be the active node and will show all traffic.
    The other two, I manage NO interfaces... Only the node.

Yes, we need a better way to manage this. The main thing is TO ALERT YOU OF DUPLICATES. I've just spent hours over the past few days trying to clean out duplicates.
  • I am having a similar issue but in my case, I have over 400 nodes with 2 entries.  Not duplicates, but more than 1 IP address associated with a node, therefore 2 entries in the database.  That means more polling of CPU/Memory, HDD...etc (which I have to cleanup manually).

It would be nice if there was a way of managing this.

The other problem is that when I re-discover, I'll run in to the exact same problem again.  I try to keep a clean streamlined database but this last discovery has simply ruined the previous work and I am feeling unwilling to fix it again.

• Right.  By duplicate I mean same device imported with a different IP address.

I'm with you on a bad import causing havoc. I feel your pain.