This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Custom SWQL Views Manager Resource

**     UPDATED - 2015.12.17     **

**     ADDED "FIX"/WORKAROUND TO ALLOW SWQL LINKS TO AUTOMATICALLY OPEN IN NEW TAB/WINDOW, BY DEFAULT     **

**     FOLLOW THIS LINK, Make ALL Links, In A SWQL Custom Query Resource, Open In New Tabs By Default , TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO FIX THIS     **

**     IF YOU PLAN ON CHANGING THIS DEFAULT BEHAVIOR, AND YOU ARE ALREADY USING THIS "SWQL VIEWS MANAGER RESOURCE", OR PLAN TO, YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THE CHANGE TO A DIFFERENT FILE     **

**     THIS "SWQL VIEWS MANAGER RESOURCE" USES ITS OWN "CustomSWQLViewsManager.js" FILE, WHEREAS, THE LINK ABOVE REFERENCES THE SYSTEMWIDE DEFAULT FILE, "CustomQuery.js"     **

**     TO APPLY THE CHANGE, IN THE LINK ABOVE, TO THE CUSTOM RESOURCE BELOW, SIMPLY EDIT  THE "CustomSWQLViewsManager.js" FILE, INSTEAD OF THE FILE REFERENCED IN THE LINK ABOVE     **

A few months ago, I created a post that contained my workaround for managing all of our different views.

Custom SWQL Views Manager

My solution was not as nice to look at as it could be.

hcy01uk suggested a very nice and neat solution to clean it up a bit, which allowed for a single "Add New" button to be placed at the top of the resource, instead of being repeated down the entire list XX number of times.

The only problem we found was the link/icon would be automagically removed if someone clicked the "Edit" button for the resource. If this happened, then we would have to manually go back into the database, and reapply the fix.

Lately, I have been snooping around all the resource files, trying to build better resources for our specific needs. In doing this, I was able to make a resource that has the "Add New" button hardcoded into it. Now, you can click to edit the resource as many times as you wish, and the link/icon remain.

I am a bit lazy at the moment, so, instead of adding screenshots to this post, I will simply refer you to look at the post located here, SWQL Custom Views Manager.

**WARNING! THE INFORMATION YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ COMES FROM THE MIND OF AN UNTRAINED AMATEUR, AND IS MOST LIKELY FAR, FAR FROM THE BEST PRACTICE**

Using the following system versions:

Orion Platform 2015.1.2, QoE 2.0, NPM 11.5.2, WPM 2.2.0, UDT 3.2.2, IVIM 2.1.0

If you would like to make the changes permanent, and not alter the default resource files, you will need to do the following:

1. Download the "CustomSWQLViewsManager.rar" file attached to this document.
  2. Unzip/unrar the contents to the following folders on your SolarWinds web server:
    1. \inetpub\SolarWinds\Orion\NetPerfMon\Controls\EditResourceControls\
      1. EditCustomSWQLViewsManager.ascx.cs
      2. EditCustomSWQLViewsManager.ascx
    2. \inetpub\SolarWinds\Orion\NetPerfMon\Resources\Misc\
      1. CustomSWQLViewsManager.ascx.cs
      2. CustomSWQLViewsManager.ascx
      3. CustomSWQLViewsManager.js **(Apply THESE DIRECTIONS, to this file (CustomSWQLViewsManager.js), if you want to make the SWQL links automatically open in a new tab, by default)**
  3. Rerun the SolarWinds Orion Configuration Wizard.
    1. Make sure that "Website" is the only option checked.
    2. Click OK/Next until process begins.
  4. Add new "Custom SWQL Views Manager" resources to a page.
  5. Apply the "SWQL Custom Views Manager" SWQL query, from Custom SWQL Views Manager, to your new Custom SWQL Views Manager resource.
  6. Enjoy your new SWQL Custom Views Manager, with built in "Add New" link/icon.

I have not added, or removed, anything else from this resource, so, it should work the same as the standard/default resource in regards to permissions and basic functionality. (other than being able to create a new view directly from the resource)

If an unauthorized user happens to see the "Add New" button on the resource, and tries to use it, they should see the following error:

Unexpected Website Error

A SolarWinds administrator has limited your account from viewing the requested page. You must have the 'Allow Account to Customize Views' privilege to access the requested page.

Here are a few more examples of other modified resources:

Custom SWQL Views Manager

Custom SWQL Views Manager Resource

Custom Node & Polling, Combined Details Resource

Custom User Links, Modified User Links Resource

Custom Query Resources, Increased Default Workspace

Also, please check out the exceptional content from these Thwack users too:

Gob's‌ content HERE

hcy01uk's content HERE

alexslv's content HERE

cnorborg's content HERE

Thank you,