This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

reporting out of SWIS API

We have a reporting platform that we're trying to leverage the solarwinds API to query data from.  It uses a homegrown tool that can use an API to ingest data.  This works great for availability, cpu, disk, memory and response time statistics.

However, we're running into issues with interface related tables where the queries are timing out and the SWIS service itself starts to consume over 12GB of ram and then doesn't go back down until it is restarted, here is an example of one query:

select Nodes.Caption as DEVICE_NAME, Nodes.IP_Address as DEVICE_IP,  'InPercentUtil' as PARAMETER_NAME, InterfaceTraffic.DateTime as CHECK_TIME
,InterfaceTraffic.InPercentUtil as OUTPUT_DATA,  interfaces.TypeDescription as
OUTPUT_DATA2, Interfaces.Caption as OUTPUT_DATA3
from orion.Nodes, orion.npm.InterfaceTraffic, orion.npm.Interfaces
where InterfaceTraffic.nodeID=Nodes.NodeID AND interfaces.nodeid=nodes.nodeid and MINUTEDIFF(InterfaceTraffic.DateTime,getdate()) = 1

tdanner​, would you have any suggestions?

Id say we have a medium to large deployment and interfaces are definitely the biggest portion of the environment:

3 Polling Engines

Network Elements 32814

Nodes 2496

Interfaces 21062

Volumes 9256

Thanks!

Parents
  • Another observation I made is a select * without a top x, will timeout in swql studio like I mentioned and I noticed the SWIS service will keep consuming RAM until there inst any left and will never go back down until it is restarted.  Not sure if this is a SWQL studio thing or not because I do get the 2 minute timeout warning from swql studio.

• Yeah,  that's not specific to swql studio.  If you wrote a query that pulls too much data and stick it in the web consoles or a report you can cause the info service to balloon like that. I've learned this through painful experience in client environments. It seems like the info service doesn't actually give up on the query, just the ui gives up on waiting for the response.

• Yeah,  that's not specific to swql studio.  If you wrote a query that pulls too much data and stick it in the web consoles or a report you can cause the info service to balloon like that. I've learned this through painful experience in client environments. It seems like the info service doesn't actually give up on the query, just the ui gives up on waiting for the response.

Children
No Data