This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

AP Status (swql)

Cisco Prime has a function to detect when a radio on an AP is down.  This is extremely useful as the AP can be up and the "a" radio can be down, but the "g" radio is up.

Unfortunately, Orion does not tell us the status of the radios (feature request!!!!!).  ugh!!   We can probably infer that the radio is down if there is minimal traffic and zero clients.

pastedImage_0.png

ok.   With this in mind, here are two resources - er - widgets which provides a good summary for the APs.

pastedImage_1.png

SELECT

t.DisplayName as [Access Point]

,concat('/Orion/View.aspx?NetObject=WLTAP:',t.id) as [_linkfor_Access Point]

,case when t.Available=1 then '/Orion/Wireless/Images/Object-WAP_Thin-Up.png'

when t.Available=0 then '/Orion/Wireless/Images/Object-WAP_Thin-Down.png'

end as [_iconfor_Access Point]

,t.IPAddress

,t.Clients as [Clients]

,case when t.Clients >= 40 then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-Critical.gif'

when t.Clients >= 30 then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-Warning.gif'

else '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-Up.gif'

end as [_iconfor_Clients]

,round(t.InBps,0) as [INbps]

,round(t.OutBps,0) as [Outbps]

FROM Orion.Wireless.AccessPoints.Thin t

order by t.available asc, t.Clients desc

pastedImage_2.png

SELECT                                                                                                                                                             

when t.Available=0 then '/Orion/Wireless/Images/Object-WAP_Thin-down.png'

,t.IPAddress

,i.Clients as [Clients]

,case when i.Clients > 40 then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-Critical.gif'

when i.Clients > 30 then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-Warning.gif'

,i.radiotype

,round(i.InBps,0) as [InBps]

,round(i.OutBps,0) as [OutBps]

FROM Orion.Wireless.AccessPoints t

join Orion.Wireless.Interfaces i on i.id = t.id

order by t.available asc, i.Clients desc

btw – make sure you uncheck the two default settings in advanced config (/Orion/Admin/AdvancedConfiguration/Global.aspx)

The RemoveDisappearedAPs will let you know if an AP is down (disappears).  In some cases, the SaveRouguesToHistory gives us extremely large tables.  This should generally be turned off unless there is a specific need.

pastedImage_0.png

Thank You,

Amit

Parents
  • I'm pretty new to Solarwinds so may be making some basic mistakes but I don't seem to be getting accurate data here.

I'm seeing the 'a' radios as up  and transmitting data on AP's in which they've been intentionally shut down (and confirmed on the controller that they are shut down).  And the client counts seem off.  We have a large number of retail environments which do not have guest wifi and you need a certificate to join wifi so it is very rare to have more than a few clients, but I'm seeing up to 19 clients on one of those AP's.  I compare what I see there to what the controller tells me and it only had 2 clients.

So I used swql studio to try and dig deeper.  I took your query and added a 'WHERE' clause so I would only get three AP's.  I compared it to a simpler query of just the accesspoints table and got different results:

,t.IPAddress

,i.Clients as [Clients]

,i.radiotype

WHERE t.DisplayName LIKE 'STR-298%'

Vrs:

SELECT ID, Clients, DisplayName

FROM Orion.Wireless.AccessPoints

WHERE DisplayName LIKE 'STR-298%'

In the first case STR-298-AP1 showed as having 19 clients, in the second it showed as having 5 clients which also agreed with what the controller was telling me.

If I get the clients from the Orion.Wireless.Interfaces table I get the same values your query does

FROM Orion.Wireless.Interfaces

WHERE ID = '871'   --  The ID of STR-298-AP1

Why would there be more clients on the interface than on the whole AP and more than the controller is reporting?

• I'm pretty new to Solarwinds so may be making some basic mistakes but I don't seem to be getting accurate data here.

I'm seeing the 'a' radios as up  and transmitting data on AP's in which they've been intentionally shut down (and confirmed on the controller that they are shut down).  And the client counts seem off.  We have a large number of retail environments which do not have guest wifi and you need a certificate to join wifi so it is very rare to have more than a few clients, but I'm seeing up to 19 clients on one of those AP's.  I compare what I see there to what the controller tells me and it only had 2 clients.

So I used swql studio to try and dig deeper.  I took your query and added a 'WHERE' clause so I would only get three AP's.  I compared it to a simpler query of just the accesspoints table and got different results:

,t.IPAddress

,i.Clients as [Clients]

,i.radiotype

WHERE t.DisplayName LIKE 'STR-298%'

Vrs:

FROM Orion.Wireless.AccessPoints

WHERE DisplayName LIKE 'STR-298%'

In the first case STR-298-AP1 showed as having 19 clients, in the second it showed as having 5 clients which also agreed with what the controller was telling me.

If I get the clients from the Orion.Wireless.Interfaces table I get the same values your query does

FROM Orion.Wireless.Interfaces

WHERE ID = '871'   --  The ID of STR-298-AP1

Why would there be more clients on the interface than on the whole AP and more than the controller is reporting?

Children
No Data