This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to download running and startup config when commands are different?

Hi all,

I have a Netgear M4100-26G that we have added to NCM and i have a small issue in the fact that getting the running config you go into enable mode and then do show running-config.

for the startup configuration you do 'copy nvram:startup-config tftp://<server-ip>/filename.cfg'

I do see there is 2 config types. 1 for running config and 1 for startup config. and above those is there the download command which says something like 'show ${configtype}'

Could i in the 2 config types type 'show running-config' in the config type for the running config? and do 'copy nvram:startup-config' tftp://serverip/file.cfg?

My thinking is that i could just reference the variale ${configtype} in the download command field?

• did you ever get an answer for this question? I am facing a similar situation.

• Can you also copy the running-config over via TFTP?  If so, just change the transport to TFTP for both.  (I had this scenario years ago with some one-off devices from a now defunct vendor)

I don't have a Netgear in my lab, so I can't test it myself.

• Common variables for Indirect downloads are shown below. These are taken from the documentation HERE.

DownloadConfigIndirect

Use the DownloadConfigIndirect command to download the config indirectly using TFTP. The config is transferred from the device to the SolarWinds TFTP server and then downloaded. The Value defines the commands to transfer the config to the TFTP server. For example: 

<Command Name="DownloadConfigIndirect" Value="copy ${ConfigType} ${TransferProtocol}://${StorageAddress}/${StorageFilename}${CRLF}${StorageAddress}${CRLF}y${CRLF}"/>

DownloadConfigIndirectSCP

Use the DownloadConfigIndirectSCP command to download the config indirectly using SCP. The config is transferred from the device to the SCP server and then downloaded. The Value defines the commands to transfer the config to the SCP server.

<Command Name="DownloadConfigIndirectSCP" Value="${EnterConfigMode}${CRLF}save ${TransferProtocol}://${SCPServerUserName}@${StorageAddress}/${StorageFileName}${CRLF}${SCPServerPassword}${CRLF}${ExitConfigMode}"/>

Terry Kay

Loop1

• Common variables for Indirect downloads are shown below. These are taken from the documentation HERE.

DownloadConfigIndirect

Use the DownloadConfigIndirect command to download the config indirectly using TFTP. The config is transferred from the device to the SolarWinds TFTP server and then downloaded. The Value defines the commands to transfer the config to the TFTP server. For example: 

<Command Name="DownloadConfigIndirect" Value="copy ${ConfigType} ${TransferProtocol}://${StorageAddress}/${StorageFilename}${CRLF}${StorageAddress}${CRLF}y${CRLF}"/>

DownloadConfigIndirectSCP

Use the DownloadConfigIndirectSCP command to download the config indirectly using SCP. The config is transferred from the device to the SCP server and then downloaded. The Value defines the commands to transfer the config to the SCP server.

<Command Name="DownloadConfigIndirectSCP" Value="${EnterConfigMode}${CRLF}save ${TransferProtocol}://${SCPServerUserName}@${StorageAddress}/${StorageFileName}${CRLF}${SCPServerPassword}${CRLF}${ExitConfigMode}"/>

Terry Kay

Loop1

• Hi, thanks for your kind information i have tried this but I am facing an issue related to the TFTP that is not working properly could you please check and suggest me the best solution please?

• Without more details, I can't help.  Is the TFTP server disabled or not running on the Orion server?  Can you manually TFTP from the device to the Orion Server?  If you can try to manually copy via TFTP from the device, are there any errors or messages that are being sent?

• Use the DownloadConfigIndirect command to download the config indirectly using TFTP. The config is transferred from the device to the SolarWinds TFTP server and then downloaded. The Value defines the commands to transfer the config to the TFTP server. For example: