How Can I Alert on a Backup Failure of a node

So, I am aware of this thread: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/product-forums/network-configuration-manager-ncm/f/forum/55296/backup-failure-alerts And I am also aware the job logs can be emailed, but that is a very crude email or don't email approach. 

I also like the idea of the mop up action that showed, and I can see that working in some cases for us but not for all. We have >100 weekly backup schedules which attempt to backup >6k devices. We don't want folks to manually trawl through log files as we already get blindsided enough by emails and so need an automated method to do this.

Simply stated:

We need to alert on any specific node that fails to backup so that it can be raised as an incident.

- personally speaking I know this is likely to raise more manual work to go and trigger a fresh backup or investigate why it is failing, but in this glorious new world of automation, this is what management want. And, let's face it, there is only so much sense you can talk to management before they start demanding stuff Wink

Parents
  • Circling back round to this, I've done some more work and got not a lot further.

What is stumping me at present is that I can't find where the DB stores the date of the last actual backup be it a manually instigated one or one run via a job.

I have a little script (and my first ever successful written join from scratch - thanks for your time today) which is:

SELECT TOP 1000 CNP.CoreNodeID, N.Caption, CNP.LoginStatus, CNP.ConfigTypes, CNP.LastTransferActionType, CNP.LastTransferDate, CNP.LastInventory, CNP.LastTransferMessage, CNP.IsTransferError, CNP.IsActiveTransfer, CNP.IsTransferCanceling
    FROM Cirrus.NodeProperties CNP
    JOIN  Orion.Nodes N ON CNP.CoreNodeID = N.NodeID
    WHERE CNP.LastTransferMessage <> 'Complete'

Now, a lot of those fields are not required but I left them in just in hopes / for visibility, but the one that looks most promising is: LastTransferDate - sadly, this only ever shows the last manually instigated backup via the Config Management screen and not the ones from jobs.

So, yet another plea, does anyone know where the DB stores the actual last backup date however it was instigated. PLEASE?

• So I've found the location of the last actual date of a backup or backup attempt. It's stored in 'Cirrus.ConfigArchive' as 'DownloadTime'

Which leads to my next query on this....

I need to JOIN this table into the prior query - and as I've only just worked out how to do a JOIN I have no idea how to join in a third table. Any help on this please?

• So I've found the location of the last actual date of a backup or backup attempt. It's stored in 'Cirrus.ConfigArchive' as 'DownloadTime'

Which leads to my next query on this....

I need to JOIN this table into the prior query - and as I've only just worked out how to do a JOIN I have no idea how to join in a third table. Any help on this please?

Children
No Data