API NCM 403 Client Error: Access denied. WebViewer permission required.

I tried to use API to add node for NCM and I have the following issue:

2021-01-28 10:35:18,054 [188] ERROR SolarWinds.InformationService.Core.InformationService - (null) (null) Exception caught in method SolarWinds.InformationService.Core.InformationService.Invoke
System.Security.SecurityException: Access denied. WebViewer permission required.
at SolarWinds.Orion.NCM.Security.SecurityHelper.CheckPermission(Permissions permission)
at SolarWinds.Data.Providers.NCM.Invokers.NodeInvoker.AddNodeToNCM(Int32 coreNodeId)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at SolarWinds.InformationService.Verb.VerbExecutor.ReflectionInvocation(Object hostInstance, Object[] parameters)
at SolarWinds.InformationService.Verb.VerbExecutorContext.Invoke()
at SolarWinds.InformationService.Core.InformationService.Invoke[T](String entity, String verb, Action`1 setupParameters, Func`2 extractReturnValue)
The Zone of the assembly that failed was:
MyComputer

Admin permissions added via AD group but it not working for API

I tested it also via local user with the same privileges and it works. Do you have idea why it not working for AD group ?? for now I experience issue only for NCM, I can discovery and add interfaces, make query, disable and enable monitoring etc. via AD group permission but cannot handle requests related to NCM.

• I had a similar problem and solved it by updating the "Network configuration manager settings" permission for the user.

Specifically, go to: Settings -> All settings -> User accounts -> Manage Accounts

Select the user making API calls and click "Edit".

Scroll to the bottom of the "Edit ... Account" page and click to open the "Network configuration manager settings" section.

My API user had "NCM Role" of "None". I changed this to "WebUploader".

Click "Submit"

• I have this same problem when making an "invoke" call. My user account is in a User Group that has Administrator rights for NCM. I have also tried using an elevated account that has Admin rights to Solarwinds. Both get that same "403 Client Error: Access denied. WebViewer permission required" error.

Do I have to use an Individual Account (rather than Group)?

Or does "invoke" commands require the Solarwinds "admin" account?

I have tried SWQL Studio and OrionSDK for Python 3.9, under Windoze v10.

Orion Platform, IPAM, VNQM, NCM, NPM, NTA, SAM: 2020.2.5 © 1999-2021 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

• I was also experiencing this issue and submitted it as a potential bug. The API didn't require the domain to be included in the username, so I would authenticate to the API without it. This has worked in all other scenarios so far, but was identified as the cause of the problem in the NCM area.

If I include the domain in my username for SWQL Studio or my scripts, then NCM data is available and Verbs don't respond with the error "Access denied. WebViewer permission required".

I know the thread is old, hoping you're still around to confirm if this also solves your issue. Slight smile