This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Upgrade Cisco 9300 Catalyst switches in Install Mode

I am wondering if there is a method for upgrading IOS on Cisco devices that use install mode instead of bundle mode by using NCM/Orion.  

There are several templates for upgrading Cisco devices, but all of them seem to be for upgrading devices in Bundle mode by replacing the bootfile  

I would like to do something like

request platform software package install switch all file flash:iosname.bin 

I have managed to get this somewhat automated through scripts, but would like to see if there is a fully automated through the firmware upgrade templates.

Parents
  • Has anybody been able to figure that out by now? As we are rolling out more and more 9200 and 9300 devices, that would be a great help.

• I have been working on scripting this out with jobs instead of the firmware upgrade templates. So far I've got the steps to be completed listed below:

Job 1 - Flash cleanup & Software Clean

1. delete /force /recursive flash:*.bin (I ran a seperate job listing the dir and show boot, I did not delete the boot file of the switch; but if you want you can do this command to delete all bin files)

2. request platform software package clean switch all file flash:

2a. Y (enter) or ${CLRF}

Job 2 - File IOS upload and Install

1. copy txxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ios-file.bin flash:

2. request platform software package install switch all file flash:ios-file.bin auto-copy

3. dir (Looking to check that the bin file was successfully unpackaged and looking for the packages.conf)

Job 3 - Boot statement & reload

1. delete /force /recursive flash:ios-file.bin

2. conf t

3. boot system switch all flash:packages.conf

4. wr mem or copy run start 

5. ${REBOOT}

Job 4

1. sho boot

2. sho ver

Now as far as the job, you should really break them out because if you run it all there is no way to verify that the commands will be successful or fail until the job is over. It would be nice to script out a bunch of if/else statements to proceed but I'm not very versed in scripting yet. Hope this helps! I have only tested on a local 9300 and 9200 but we have a few hundred switches at remote sites so if it fails or boots the switch in rommon it's a pain getting to the site locally. The Firmware Upgrade template would have a bit more step verification that the jobs don't provide.

• I am pretty much stuck between step 2 and 3.

I manage to get the software on to the switches with the firmware upgrade section of NCM, I can run

install add file flash:ios-image.bin

In the next step I want to run

install activate commit

and let the switch/stack reload in that process. The activate commit part does not work for me as of yet using a script, as there is no immediate reply to the console, while the script says it finished.

• Depending on the software version you are on you can run 'install activate prompt-level none'

I believe this will get you past any issues where you have to say yes to confirm the reload etc. 

Reply Children
No Data