This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Execute CLI script via API

While browsing Swagger UI I came across this gem:

ExecuteCLI.JPG

I found it to be a far more quicker and cleaner alternative to the method described here NCM Config Transfer · solarwinds/OrionSDK Wiki · GitHub. Execution time in my case is somewhere between 4 and 8 seconds per device and you can even string multiple commands together. 

This endpoint was probably developed for ASA firewalls, but it works perfectly for other Cisco devices. If the account that you are using has a higher privilege level configured (so that enable password is not required) you can omit the "enablePassword" parameter from the request body.  

You can use it via REST (useful for displaying commands outputs directly in a Custom HTML widget with a little JS magic) or via your programming/scripting language of choice. 

As a bonus, here is the PowerShell function that I wrote as part of my SolarWinds API utilities module: 

Function Execute-CLICommand
{
  <#
        .SYNOPSIS
            Run CLI commands on Cisco devices via the SolarWinds API.

Parameters - SWIS Connection
                       - IP or FQDN
                       - API Username
                       - Password
                       - Script - multiple lines can be run, sepparated by `n

.PARAMETER SWISConnection

SWIS Connection

.PARAMETER Device

Device IP or FQDN

.PARAMETER UserName

API username

.PARAMETER Pawword

Password for the API Username

.PARAMETER Script

CLI Script; multiple lines can be run, sepparated by `n

#>

param
(
$SWISConnection,
[string] $Device,
[string] $UserName,
[string] $Password,
[string] $Script

)

$out = Invoke-SwisVerb $swis Orion.ASA.Node ExecuteCliCommand @($device,$UserName,$Password,$script)
return $out.'#text'

}
Parents
  • Can you walk a very novice (as in I'm just getting started with Powershell) user, through this please?

I can see a benefit of using this to script stuff, but not sure what I'd edit or add where to actually use it. So, for example:

"[string] $Device," I'm not getting where does the IP / FQDN go in this? I've tried on my own test bed and what/where ever I use, I just get errors so am plainly missing the key part.

and

The script states: "multiple lines can be run, sepparated by `n" - is that literally this type of thing: line 1 text `n line 2 text `n line 3 etc `n?

Thanks.

• Can you walk a very novice (as in I'm just getting started with Powershell) user, through this please?

I can see a benefit of using this to script stuff, but not sure what I'd edit or add where to actually use it. So, for example:

"[string] $Device," I'm not getting where does the IP / FQDN go in this? I've tried on my own test bed and what/where ever I use, I just get errors so am plainly missing the key part.

and

The script states: "multiple lines can be run, sepparated by `n" - is that literally this type of thing: line 1 text `n line 2 text `n line 3 etc `n?

Thanks.

Children
No Data