This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NCM 7.9 Config Archive folder vs SCP/TFTP

Hello,

I am doing a proof of concept of NPM and NCM for my organization. What we're after the most is configuration management. A requirement is that the configuration files are stored on a remote server securely. I was under impression I'd be able to achieve this using a defined SCP server. However, that isn't the case. All files end up in the configuration archive folder locally. Checking out documentation:

"Use this widget to download the startup, running, or custom configuration from the current node. Select the configuration type from the list, and then click Download. Downloaded configuration files are stored on your server in the location specified in NCM Settings > Config Settings > Config Archive Folder Locations. "

This clearly states where the files will land. Then, I would like to understand what is the purpose of configuring the SCP server in NCM. To drive the point home, I was hoping I'd be able to use this very option to transfer configuration files to the named SCP server. What are known/supported means of doing this?

• ppuchals​,

The config files are pulled in from the device to the NCM DB via SCP. A copy of that config is also dropped in the archive folder, IF that option is configured. Access to the archive folder is then up to you, it's Windows and all the Windows options are available to you. I set mine up with AD Group access privileges, but I imagine you can also encrypt that folder. It's just a Windows folder, there are tons of options.

D

• You can also use UNC paths instead of a local folder. Using UNC paths with multiple polling engines will make sure that they all go to the same place.

• Thanks, so you are saying that the TFTP/SCP option is for NCM DB only? So, it isn't used to transfer the files over to whatever server you configure? I was hoping to leverage this transfer option so that the files simply land at a remote destination of my choice. I was trying to set it up so that the archived config goes to a mapped letter drive, but Orion doesn't want to validate the path for some reason.