This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Track network port usage over time like IPAM does IP addresses

I would like to track network port usage over time.  We are in a battle here with the desktop technician group over installing new switches.  As stupid as it sounds they want us to light up every port.  We refuse on the basis of cost and security, the latter should win any fight around here, but seems to be mute.  they push back on the basis of cost and time.  I figure it is pure laziness and passthejobist.

So I know when I run an inventory of devices in NCM I get the port usage at that point in time.  What I would like to do is be able to see if the port was ever used, kind of like what I can do with IPAM and IP addresses.  Currently I have an elaborate plot of merging CSV files over a given period and showing that they where not used for an entire month they are dead, and reclaimable.  Of course I would have to go out and reclaim them, but then hey, I could screw up every now and again and get their port in the reclaiming process.  I have been using the engineer switchport map software to do this, I really want something automated.

Parents
  • This is an interesting use-case.  I've captured this as an enhancement request for NCM. 

In the meantime, if you have Orion NPM, it should be possible to do this using NPM's Universal Device Poller (UnDP) to poll the last usage time of a port and then run a historical report (over the last 30 days) on this data.

• Chris - Couldn't this be accomplished just by monitoring the port in NPM?  Of course this would require higher license counts in NPM.  I'm still trying to figure out how the overlap in NPM and NCM is going to play out in terms of features.

irishjd - if you figure out the OID, please post it here.

John

• Chris - Couldn't this be accomplished just by monitoring the port in NPM?  Of course this would require higher license counts in NPM.  I'm still trying to figure out how the overlap in NPM and NCM is going to play out in terms of features.

irishjd - if you figure out the OID, please post it here.

John

Children
No Data