This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NCM Node Import Filters

The NPM to NCM import job is great, but is there a way to do this AND filter based on custom NPM properties.  Example; if I have many NPM nodes which are provider managed but we monitor and collect statistics, can I filter those from the nightly import?

Parents
  • What do you mean by nightly "import"? Are you downloading configs on a nightly basis from these nodes, or are you actually importing nodes from the NPM database?

In either case, you could use a custom property to filter by.

If you are downloading configs, edit the Nodes tab on the Scheduled Job to Specify a Selection Criteria in order to determine the nodes that will be effected by the job. You might use a Yes/No custom property that invludes the nodes that are managed by you.

If you are truly importing from the NPM to the NCM database, you could use the same property in Orion, then map it to a new custom property in NCM. You would then have to manaully select the nodes with  True value for the custom property.

Does any of this make sense?

• Looking to truly do a nightly import of devices between NPM and NCM.  I do not want to manually select devices as I would expect to add new devices added each day to reduce the administrative impact. 

Example:  Engineers add a couple of new switches and access points into the network and NPM.  Instead of adding them manually into NCM the nightly import will pick them up.

• You have no doubt already found this, but the Import Node scheduled jobs type only allows you to filter by vendor or machine type as you import nodes from Orion.

Looks like we need to request that any custom property be allowed as a filter for this type of job.

Did I miss something anyone?

• I would also see other possibilities for import filtering (Vendor and Machine Types can not distinguish proper nodes, the true/false custom property needs extra work which is costly). Possibility to use SNMP community for selecting the nodes would be great for us.

Markku

• I would also see other possibilities for import filtering (Vendor and Machine Types can not distinguish proper nodes, the true/false custom property needs extra work which is costly). Possibility to use SNMP community for selecting the nodes would be great for us.

Markku

Children
No Data