This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Cisco Device - User login alert

I am trying to setup an alert based on specif user login.  Exam. If user "A" failed or successfully login to specific Cisco device, I would like to be alert on it. If you know how to do this please let me.

Thank you in advance for your help

Parents
  • Hi,

Depending on your device, the following should work:

login on-failure log

login on-success log

This will produce the following syslog messages:

Jun 17 21:25:29.478 MDT: %SEC_LOGIN-5-LOGIN_SUCCESS: Login Success [user: testuser] [Source: 10.1.0.23] [localport: 22] at 21:25:29 MDT Mon Jun 17 2013

Jun 17 21:26:03.178 MDT: %SEC_LOGIN-4-LOGIN_FAILED: Login failed [user: testuser] [Source: 10.1.0.23] [localport: 22] [Reason: Login Authentication Failed] at 21:26:03 MDT Mon Jun 17 2013

Once you have the syslog messages, you should be able to create an alert to send notifications.

• Hi,

Depending on your device, the following should work:

login on-failure log

login on-success log

This will produce the following syslog messages:

Jun 17 21:25:29.478 MDT: %SEC_LOGIN-5-LOGIN_SUCCESS: Login Success [user: testuser] [Source: 10.1.0.23] [localport: 22] at 21:25:29 MDT Mon Jun 17 2013

Jun 17 21:26:03.178 MDT: %SEC_LOGIN-4-LOGIN_FAILED: Login failed [user: testuser] [Source: 10.1.0.23] [localport: 22] [Reason: Login Authentication Failed] at 21:26:03 MDT Mon Jun 17 2013

Once you have the syslog messages, you should be able to create an alert to send notifications.

Children
  • Thank you branfarm for your reply. You are correct on your suggestion, Yet I decided to take it one step further as I got it to work and I want to make it is easier for anyone to do this.

NOTE: These steps were done on a Cisco Catalyst 2960 switch (it should work on any Cisco IOS device)

NOTE: This configuration is done for NPM product not NCM. Sorry, but I couldn't figured out how to re-categorized this post.

STEP 1: Enter the following settings on the Cisco device.

Conf t

logging {solarwinds IP}

logging on

login on-failure log

login on-success log

logging file flash:syslogSolarwinds  ### Not necessary, but it's a good practice to write your syslog to file in case the switch reboots.

service sequence-numbers           ### Not necessary, but it's a good practice in to have your syslog messages in a sequence

logg trap 5

logging history 4

archive                                        ### Not necessary, but it's a good practice.
       log config
       logging enable
       notify syslog
       hidekeys

STEP 2: Enter these settings on your Solarwinds server

launch "Syslog Viewer"

syslog 1.JPG

Enter the IP address of the device you previously configure on the "Source IP Adress" field. This will allow you to see only the syslogs from that device. If you don't see any logs go back to STEP 1.

syslog 2.JPG

Go to "Syslog Server Settings" click on the "Alert/Filter" tab and "add a new rule"

syslog 3.JPG

Modify the following tabs:

General tab: enter the IP address of the device that you want to receive alert form.

syslog 4.JPG

Message tab: enter these patterns on the "Syslog Message Pattern field"

syslog 5.JPG

Severity/Facility tab: select theses options only

syslog 6.JPG

Alert Actions tab: enter your email address and make sure you enter the SMTP server settings otherwise you won't get an email alert

syslog 7.JPG

Test your setting by login into the switch you previously configured. You should receive a real-time email alert based on the rules you configured.

syslog 8.JPG

I hope this is beneficial to anyone trying to get this results.