This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NTA Module Add Failure - Informational

Hey all - 

I wanted to share my experience installing the NTA module just in case someone else runs into it.  We were running 2020.2.5 and moving to 2020.2.6 and adding the additional module.  The installation went without issue which in turn launched the Configuration Wizard.  The wizard would get past all the database connection point, using old credentials and settings.  After getting to about 30% it constantly failed with the following error: Cannot find the object "dbo.NetFlowApps" because it does not exist or you do not have permissions.  I tried a few things such as verifying permissions to the DB, these had not changed and were working the day before when I migrated the database to a new SQL server and re-attached the Orion server.  I ended up tossing in the towel and contacting support.  We went through some of the same steps, we even created a new DB user with the same permissions but kept arriving at the same issue.

Finally, he comes back to me and asks have you ever installed NTA before??  My answer was of course, nope. I was so certain of this as I had built this installation a few years back and had been the maintainer of the system and all of its things.  While I had done the install from scratch at the time I had decided to keep the data from a previous administrator.  The support engineer goes ahead and downloads an NTA removal tool, just gonna run it in case.  As soon as we run it, it starts dumping a bunch of old junk from the database.  So while I had not installed NTA ever in this environment we had leftovers from a previous time in the database from a very old version of NTA.  We had searched the DB for the object mentioned in the error but it did not exist, so at that time we kept checking for user account errors.  After this tool was done we ran the installed and added the module, ran the configuration wizard, and am now happily configuring and checking out all the new widgets in NTA.

Not too sure I could have done anything different in my planning stages as this product was not part of our licensing when I came on and I had never seen it in the modules list even before the initial upgrade years ago.  But wanted to share this bit of information  in case this snake lunges up and bites someone else on a typically simple install process.

Robert S.