This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Ways to give NTA L7 visibility.

Hello,

Netflow is a great tool, however it is becoming a bit obsolete nowadays since DPI firewalls can do layer 7 inspection and can categorize/report on an application basis.

It feels a bit pointless to pay for a product that has a bar that says "70% of your traffic is TCP, 27% is UDP 2% is ESP and 1%ICMP".

Or having the internet report says that 90% of my traffic is "web traffic".

Or that my top talkers are "From RFC1918 to RFC1918".

So I have decided to try and improve the product.

I have manually added our internal networks through IPAM which gave me better visibility through the inside to inside traffic.

I have also googled and found the public IP addresses on some sites i.e. Sharepoint and created an app for that. I had to export the XML from NTA, import it in excel, manipulate the fields and then re-import it back.

It did the job, but although it sounds cool to do so, it is a pain to add Amazon since only its IP ranges is a 3kb text file!

Is there a better way of doing this? Besides enabling NBAR2 (which surprisingly is not supported in half of Cisco's products?).

Is there an NPM addon that inspects L7 traffic?