This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Failing to connect to SQL database for NTA install

In the process of a fresh install of NPM, NCM & NTA. Deployment includes dedicated server for Orion product installation and a dedicated server for SQL where there will be two databases, 1 for NPM, NCM and seperate one for NTA. Same database instance.

Whilst going through the configuration wizard, I am successful able to specify, connect and authenticate to the SQL Server for Orion to use. However when I try to authenticate to the same sql server for NTA Flow Storage, we get an error (screenshot attached).

What I've confirmed so far:
**DB account has public, ALTER ANY CONNECTION, dbcreator, sysadmin, securityadmin, db_owner permissions.
**DB account login tested using SQL Management Studio from within the Solarwinds server itself.
**No firewall is in between the Solarwinds server and SQL database
**DNS names are correctly being resolved by either server

Unsure why the solarwinds server can reach and authenticate to the SQL Server for the Orion Database but not for NTA.

Please note:
**Same SQL instance is being used for NPM, NCM & NTA
**SQL Server is Windows Server 2019
**Installation of the Orion Products NPM, NCM, NTA is non-system d:\ drive
**NPM website root directory is on C:\InetPub\SolarWinds

Please assist. Case has been raised but no response so reaching out the thwack with the hope that someone else has encountered something similiar and knows a way forward.

Thank you!!

• Hello,

Do you using default SQL instance name or customized ? In what format you are typing in field "SQL sever" in Configuration Wizard dialog at "NTA Flow Storage Configuration" Configuration Wizard screen, please?

What type of authentication are you using on the same page  "NTA Flow Storage Configuration" Configuration Wizard (windows,Azure Active Directory or SQL authentication), please?

Regards Radek

• Thanks for your response and questions.

Not sure what you mean by the SQL instance name. Its a external (to the the Orion Server) SQL cluster so its the SQLServer\InstanceName. As for format, I am using the same format I used to point Orion to the SQL Databse for NPM which is again SQLServer\InstanceName. I have tried tcp:SQLServer\InstanceName,1433 but no joy.

I am using Windows authentication.

Same credential to the same SQL Server instance work fine for NPM when I went through the wizard.

• I have now resolved the issue by using the below string to specify the SQL server:

tcp:SQLServer\InstanceName,70049

Turns out that when instances are setup on our sql server, it is assigned with a non-standard/custom port. I wasnt made aware of this at the time but neither did I expect to specify this as I didnt have to when pointing non-NTA products to the sql database.