Kiwi Syslog Server NG (New Generation) Beta program announcement

We are pleased to announce that the Kiwi Syslog Server NG Beta 1 is now available, and we would like to invite Kiwi Syslog Server users and those interested in this product to participate in the Beta program.

Kiwi Syslog Server NG is a new generation of this legendary product newly based on .NET technology, equipped with a completely new web-based UI that removes the limits of the original product and takes it to the next level.

If you are interested in being a part of the beta program of the new generation of Kiwi Syslog Server, please fill out the following short registration form.

Please register for this program by February 10, 2023. We will make the beta program forum available to a group of participants based on available capacity and the provided THWACK ID. The beta program THWACK forum will have the beta version of the product available for download and other information needed to provide feedback.

As a small thank you, beta program participants, who submit the feedback will receive 2,500 THWACK points to buy swag at the THWACK Store.

Sincerely,

Kiwi Syslog Server NG Team

Parents
  • *Installed as a service.*

Not sure if something got hung up during my install, but I cannot, for the life of me, get any syslog messages displayed (possibly even received) in this beta. Firewall completely disabled, forwarding messages from production Kiwi server to NG server (production successfully forwards to our graylog server, so I presume the Kiwi forwarding is working properly).

Changing displays would be nice to show which display is actually loaded. Switching between displays, especially when they are built similar, or currently empty, makes me doubt the dropdown actually changed anything, as the page doesn't flash, beep, or bloop when choosing different displays.

Editing dashboards and widgets does not always cancel when clicking the cancel button. If I edit a small widget with few options, clicking cancel backs out as expected. If I edit a larger widget (default, stacked messages), clicking the cancel button does not appear to do anything. The "X" button also does not appear to back out of editing the widget. The only way I can get out of editing some of the widgets is to click save, which was not my first thought of how to exit.

I see where we can export rules, but do not see any method to import rules. Being a next generation of the Kiwi Syslog Server, it sure would be nice to have the ability to export from current Kiwi, and import into NG Kiwi. Having poked around in old Kiwi files for a while, the rule save files are not all that complicated, so I'd image, and very much expect, "Next Generation" technology would be able to consume the old rules into the new system.

• Thanks for this valuable feedback, we plan to develop and deliver config transfer tool KSS -> KSS NG. We also work on other improvements including dashboard changes.
    Have you finally succeeded to receive / display syslog messages? There should be default rule after installation to send all incoming messages to display 0. You can use some syslog message generator for test messages. Make sure to send/listen on the same port.

• Thanks for this valuable feedback, we plan to develop and deliver config transfer tool KSS -> KSS NG. We also work on other improvements including dashboard changes.
    Have you finally succeeded to receive / display syslog messages? There should be default rule after installation to send all incoming messages to display 0. You can use some syslog message generator for test messages. Make sure to send/listen on the same port.

Children
  • For localization of root cause for previously described issue please provide following information, thanks:

1. Was installation of Kiwi Syslog NG successful?
    2. When error appeared the first time: just after installation or next hour/day?
  • *Installed as a Service*
    I see the same error right after my successful installation of Kiwi Syslog NG.

Error log:

2023-08-16 18:21:26.773 +05:30 [ERR] Unable to load license file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Kiwi Syslog Server NG\KiwiSyslogNG-1-Evaluation.lic' due to error code '"SaveFailed"'.

Earlier we had KSS 9.8.1 running on this server. I uninstalled KSS 9.8.1 and proceed to install KSS NG as instructed in the documentation.