This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Communicate with Kaco solar inverter

I am new to this forum.  I have a solar system on my house that uses a Kaco inverter.  Kaco had been monitoring the elecricity production of my solar system.  But now Kaco has been bought by Siemans and they are going to discontinue monitoring.  Monitoring was done via an internet communication device installed in the inverter and sending data to the Kaco server to collect and display the daily production.

I was hoping someone here could point me in a direction where I could connect to the inverter's communication device say via telnet and collect the date.  I am an amateur programmer familiar with C, C++, java and javascript.  So I thought I could build an automated data collection tool to talk to the inverter, collect data and store it on my PC.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Parents
  • It might be worthwhile to use wireshark to see what you can see traffic wise from the inverter.  If you can figure out protocol, then you are on your way....assuming it is in the clear.  If it is encrypted or through a https process, you may not have much of an opportunity.

• Please be patient with me as I am a novice at this.  Using Wireshark, I can see DHCP and ARP packets to the solar inverter.  DHCP when the inverter turns on and ARP periodically during the day.  I have several things I need to work out:

1) decipher the packets (from manufacturer or current monitoring company)

2) send and receive packets from my own program

Any tips you might have on acomplishing this would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

• Please be patient with me as I am a novice at this.  Using Wireshark, I can see DHCP and ARP packets to the solar inverter.  DHCP when the inverter turns on and ARP periodically during the day.  I have several things I need to work out:

1) decipher the packets (from manufacturer or current monitoring company)

2) send and receive packets from my own program

Any tips you might have on acomplishing this would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Children
No Data