This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

alerts and on-call rotation

How do I configure alerts/actions to easily change SMS alerts from one user to another?  I need a way to change who gets SMS alerts from ipMon based on who is on call for all monitors/groups.

Parents
  • Thanks for the reply.  Google voice isn't an option though.

The Media House version of ipMon circa 2000 has this ability.  Change a couple check boxes and the next person starts receiving the alerts.

No one is using ipMon who participates in an on-call rotation?

• I ended up writing a custom postfix setup that reads the on-call info from an iCal database.  IPMonitor is set to always email to oncall@mydomain.com, and my postfix relay sends anything inbound to two addresses - our helpdesk / ticket system and the on-call engineer.

it wasn't pretty getting there, but it works.  the only problem is if/when the postfix relay goes down, it can't page out, so for this particular monitor, I have direct-to-carrier SMS messages going out.

I'd share the code, but it's very quick and very dirty and very much geared towards our environment, so I hope the description helps at the very least.  I looked for a commercial / OS solution before rolling my own and didn't find one.

Incidentally, we use this same system for Orion NPM, too, since that doesn't have the concept of "on-call" either.

• I ended up writing a custom postfix setup that reads the on-call info from an iCal database.  IPMonitor is set to always email to oncall@mydomain.com, and my postfix relay sends anything inbound to two addresses - our helpdesk / ticket system and the on-call engineer.

it wasn't pretty getting there, but it works.  the only problem is if/when the postfix relay goes down, it can't page out, so for this particular monitor, I have direct-to-carrier SMS messages going out.

I'd share the code, but it's very quick and very dirty and very much geared towards our environment, so I hope the description helps at the very least.  I looked for a commercial / OS solution before rolling my own and didn't find one.

Incidentally, we use this same system for Orion NPM, too, since that doesn't have the concept of "on-call" either.

Children
No Data