This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Storing monitor results in SQL Server?

Hi,

I'm currently trialing ipMonitor and like what I see, but I need the ability to perform my own reports and queries on the results returned by the monitors for our internal reporting.  Is it possible to configure ipMonitor to store its data into a SQL database for historical reporting?

If this isn't possible does anyone know if can we interrogate ipMonitor directly via Excel?

Thanks.

Marcus

Parents
  • That can be done through their SOAP interface. I have a small Windows Service that polls the monitors every 30 seconds and stores them to SQL. It works great.

dlesko

• To prioritize this request, I'd like to better understand your use-cases and environment.   Can you help  me out by answering the following questions?

1. Which monitor types are you using in your environment?

2. How many monitors do you have deployed?

3. What specific reports are you trying to pull that you're not able to do with the built-in reporting?

• To prioritize this request, I'd like to better understand your use-cases and environment.   Can you help  me out by answering the following questions?

3. What specific reports are you trying to pull that you're not able to do with the built-in reporting?

Children
  • Hi Chris,

this is something we would be interested in as well.....

We use a wide range of monitors

at this stage we have 780 monitors on 300 odd devices, across two countries

Basically we would leverage our existing Business Objects reporting options and utilise the Web Intelligence reporting from within business objects, which allow users to create their own reports on the fly. This gives the business greater flexibility in reporting and users are not constrait to built in reports or reports which 'IT' create. If you create the Web Intelligence "universe" correctly your reporting options are endless, once the 'universe' is created it removes the need for IT to create reports on request, as users simply create their own.

Hope this helps.........

Shane 

• Shane...

Just a small note - it is entirely possible to just use the returned XML as a dataset in a report. I've done it with Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services. I am not sure what your environment is but the xml is fairly standard.

Just a thought...

dlesko