This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Is it possible to make v9 and v8.5 simultaneously work ?

Hi,

Based on some posts from another customers maybe outside there some other decided to wait for some weeks to upgrade their existing v8.5 in expectation that soon there will be provided newest patch of v9 off course with a lot of fixes to currently unintended issuses.

Actually, is it possible to install full version/licensed v9 on another machine while existing v8.5 still operates in production environment ? If it is possible, I think it will be very helpful to provide the guidance to do that.

Regards,

Fauzan

Parents
  • Hi, Fauzan.

Separate installs of v8.5 and v9 happily monitor the same network resources if they are installed on different servers. But I think you're going to run into a licensing issue, because it's not possible to share the same license simultaneously between ipMonitor installations. You can't run both a licensed v9 and a licensed v8.5 if you only have the one license.

But, what you can do is install the v9 trial version with the 1000 monitor limit on another server. If 1000 monitors are not enough to allow you to satisfactorily evaluate ipMonitor v9, our support team can give you an unlock code for extra monitors.

• Hi,

This is very interesting to follow what were you suggested. Currently in production environment, my v8.5 monitors about 3500 objects.

1. Is there any guidance for me to follow in to bring monitors data from v8.5 to another machine which v9 trial version will be installed on ? I meant the procedures to export existing data to the v9 trial version. So I can get most closely real upgrading experience on this process.
    2. When I look in to Administrator Guide of v9, I can not find procedures to do rollback to v8.5 if there's unintended issues after upgrading process. Where can I find it ?

Follow up you suggestion, I had opened a ticket (Case # 30536) requested extra monitors for v9 trial version.

Regards,

Fauzan 

• Hello Fauzan,

Is there any guidance for me to follow in to bring monitors data from v8.5 to another machine which v9 trial version will be installed on ?

You'll be effectively moving ipMonitor to another server (except you'll keep the original running and you won't be putting a real license on the new box). See this Knowledge base article for details.

http://support.solarwinds.com/kbase/ProblemDetail.cfm?ID=764

I can not find procedures to do rollback to v8.5 if there's unintended issues after upgrading process. Where can I find it ?

I'm not so sure there's an article like that for v9 yet. Here's my advice, which is easy to execute.

1. Prior to upgrading, ensure you have a backup file recently made that is encrypted (so it has the passwords for the credentials).
    2. Try out the restore just to be sure. This isn't required, but you'll feel good about being able to return to this exact config at any time without redoing credentials (should it not be encrypted).
    3. Upgrade to v9. Make any changes you want. (note that should you revert, you'll have to redo configuration changes that needed to occur)
    4. (Make sure you still have the backup file) When reverting, locate and delete all the "x" files in the config directory of the ipMonitor install.
    5. Restore the backup with the "v8 Restore program". Any new monitoring telemetrics recorded in v9 will show up in v8.5.

Note: v9 ships with the restore program. v8 doesn't. You can opt to either use the v9 restore program or you can download the v8 restore program from the "old support portal".
  • Peter,

Do you see any problems with using the procedure you referenced (http://support.solarwinds.com/kbase/ProblemDetail.cfm?ID=764) to move the installation of ipMonitor to a different drive on the same server?

We're running out of space on the system drive (where ipMonitor is currently installed) and would like to move it to a data drive.

Thanks,

Josh

• Hi Josh,

The steps and the ordering really don’t make much sense from one drive to another. The credentials database ipMonitor uses can’t be lifted from one machine to another without the backup & restore program getting involved. If the database stays on the same machine, we should be ok.

Here's what I recommend:

1. Run Backup Now… and ensure you’ve specified an encryption credential !!
      Configuration Tab > Maintenance Schedules > Recurring Internal Maintenance > Backup Now
    2. Uninstall ipMonitor (no worries, all your data is left on the drive).
    3. Move the ipMonitor installation folder to the new drive.
    4. Reinstall ipMonitor onto the new folder.
    5. Everything should work.

If the credentials go orphaned, the “encryption container” was reset by the installation program, and you’ll need to delete config\cred\credentials.db, and then run the restore program off the backup you made.

• Peter,

That procedure worked perfectly. Thanks!

Josh

Reply Children
No Data