This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Bulk Import - Supernets

Hi,

I'm currently trying to do a bulk import of approx 400 supernets, which will each contain two subnets.

From what i understand (from Michal H's last post at http://thwack.solarwinds.com/thread/49316) IPAM v3.0 has a structured import option that should allow me to do this. I cannot find any documentation on how to format a spreadsheet to import supernets.

I've tried doing an export of a supernet with nested supernets and subnets, and it appears to create a seperate CSV for each subnet it can find under that supernet. The children supernets themselves are pretty much ignored.

Has anyone had any luck with this?

Luke

Parents
  • Hi lukeod,

in addition to bluefunelemental's post. You need to select "import Groups/Supernets/Subnets" in order to successfully import whole structure:

importingSubnets.png

you can take a look on this example of how imported spreadsheet should look like:

Also, IPAM 3.0 can not export structured subnets - that's why it always create separate file for each subnet.

let us know if you were able to successfully import.

thanks,

Michal

• Sorry to wake up an old thread, but this is still not working very well on V4.2.

The res_sample_structure.xls that downloads from the link on the import page appears to be the same as Michal's post above. But so does the res_sample_ipaddress.xls - the files have identical content. The original files under inetpub\solarwinds\orion\ipam\res are different, though.

But that's not my immediate problem. When I do the import of subnets using the res_sample_structure.xls, the individual IP addresses within the subnet are not added. Nothing gets discovered - either by ICMP scan or Neighbor discovery. I'm using the columns:

Address/CIDR, Address, CIDR, Type (subnet), Display Name, MASK, Neighbor Scan Address, and a few other descriptive ones.

For the Address, I'm putting the same thing as what I put in Address/CIDR - without the /24. e.g. 10.1.1.0. The IPAM Evaluation Guide does not explain anything about what to put in the Address column for a subnet import.

I was expecting the import to create the subnets and pre-populate the ranges of IPs. But it does not.

If I go into an imported net, and manually click Add IP Range, and fill in the starting and ending addresses, then discovery works fine. But I have several hundred subnets to import. They are not all contiguous, and some are smaller than /24.

So I'm looking for how to make this less painful.

=Foon=

• Sorry to wake up an old thread, but this is still not working very well on V4.2.

The res_sample_structure.xls that downloads from the link on the import page appears to be the same as Michal's post above. But so does the res_sample_ipaddress.xls - the files have identical content. The original files under inetpub\solarwinds\orion\ipam\res are different, though.

But that's not my immediate problem. When I do the import of subnets using the res_sample_structure.xls, the individual IP addresses within the subnet are not added. Nothing gets discovered - either by ICMP scan or Neighbor discovery. I'm using the columns:

Address/CIDR, Address, CIDR, Type (subnet), Display Name, MASK, Neighbor Scan Address, and a few other descriptive ones.

For the Address, I'm putting the same thing as what I put in Address/CIDR - without the /24. e.g. 10.1.1.0. The IPAM Evaluation Guide does not explain anything about what to put in the Address column for a subnet import.

I was expecting the import to create the subnets and pre-populate the ranges of IPs. But it does not.

If I go into an imported net, and manually click Add IP Range, and fill in the starting and ending addresses, then discovery works fine. But I have several hundred subnets to import. They are not all contiguous, and some are smaller than /24.

So I'm looking for how to make this less painful.

=Foon=

Children