This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

IPAM DHCP Scope Alert setup

FormerMember
FormerMember

I am hoping I can get some clue's from Thwack on where I can modify the component monitor for DHCP emailed alerts.

First off, if it isn't obvious by the question, I am new to Solarwinds Orion monitor system. We are creating a new Orion monitoring system with various modules, one being IPAM.

After adding a set of Windows DHCP (load balanced) servers, we started getting emailed alerts every hour. We are using WMI credentials to monitor these servers.

The Alerts are legitimate! We have 5 DHCP Scopes that are Full or Almost Full. The Windows DHCP servers has a 1020 event generated in the system log. Which is being monitored by the application monitor "Windows DHCP Server" component "Warning: Server Scope is Almost Full". This generated 1 email, but I cannot figure out what generated the second email. Maybe it is the same application monitor, but I can't see this clearly when viewing the different monitors.

The first emails we get are shown below:

Email Subject: Application "Windows DHCP Server" on "DHCPServer01" is currently Down

<Message>

The application Windows DHCP Server on DHCPServer01 (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) is currently in a state of "Down". This application was last seen in an "Up" status on 10/31/2019 11:11:55 AM. The following is a list of components in this application presently in distress.

Warning: Server Scope is Almost Full(Down)

Email Subject: "Warning: Server Scope is Almost Full" of Application "Windows DHCP Server" on DHCPServer01 is Down

<Message>

Component Warning: Server Scope is Almost Full of Application "Windows DHCP Server" on dhcp02 is

currently in a state of "Down". 

After 5 minutes  (assuming the 300 second polling) we get a set of emails for the  up status of the Windows DHCP Server.

Email Subject: Application "Windows DHCP Server" on "DHCPServe01" is currently Up

<Message>

The application Windows DHCP Server on DHCPServer (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) is currently in a state of "Up". Summary

Advanced alert email format

Other Hardware and Software

Operating System: Windows 2012 R2 Server

Email Subject: "Warning: Server Scope is Almost Full" of Application "Windows DHCP Server" on DHCPServer01 is Up

<Message>

Component Warning: Server Scope is Almost Full of Application "Windows DHCP Server" on DHCPServer01 is

currently in a state of "Up". 

After all of this text, I am hoping to find a way to add DHCP scopes, by friendly name, to an exclusions list to stop the emails regarding Scopes that we are aware of and working on correcting.

• First we should find out what alert is triggering the alerts and either replace or modify it. "High DHCP Scope Usage Monitoring" is a default alert in new installs, and could be the thing you are seeing. In Mange alerts, I'd hit duplicate and edit (and disable) to modify it.Even if the alert is a custom one, you may want to do that just so you keep the existing working one while you figure out the new. Assuming the default alert is the culprit, edit it, Maybe give it a better me than I did below) hit the plus sign to add a condition I something like the 3rd line will likely give you one exclusion where "IPAM Networks Friendly Name is not Equal to ...."  and you may want to add a condition so that it has to be that way for # amount of minutes if you get a lot of up/down and down want to alter the 75% threshold.

pastedImage_0.png

If you want to dig in deeper, there are online classes for free that are good. Go to Virtual Classrooms | SolarWinds Customer Portal and the "Configuring Orion Alerts and Reports" is a great jump start to working with this stuff. Also consider the Office Hours for IPAM which is IPAM 101 with a Q and A Session.

mj83 Shout at me if this doesn't help, or you need to modify another type of alert. There are a lot of ways to get this done in Orion.

• @mj83 and I talked via PM and this wasn't an IPAM based alert, it was a version for the SAM template for the DHCP. He added exclusion to the windows event and this stopped the "noise" from teh alerts, but continues to alert on other scopes.

• Hello All ,

I want to setup alerts for High DHCP scope monitoring , but only getting scope name in alert . I also want to have server name on which high dhcp scope are coming . Please help 

•    

Hello All ,

I want to setup alerts for High DHCP scope monitoring , but only getting scope name in alert . I also want to have server name on which high dhcp scope are coming . Please help

• What good are the email alerts if they don't specify the name or IP addresses of the scope in question? This seems so basic, the question shouldn't need to be asked.