This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

First Impression Feature Ideas

1.  I posted this in another thread, but since I'm making an idea thread - thought a restating might not be bad.

Tighter integration with NPM.  Device names and SNMP credentials are already stored there.  Pull the routing tables via SNMP and make a list of networks, then a simple check-box for manage this subnet or don't would be nice.

Some kind of indicator if a node discovered is managed by NPM after the scan.  Or a report.  Or alerts.   A link to click to add discovered system to NPM like the APM has.  Or all of the above.

2. Integration with DHCP server.

I'm not sure how this information could be pulled.  Perhaps in the m$ dhcp server it can be grabbed from WMI.  Perhaps a direct read of the files from the hard drive (which would probably have to be how it'd be pulled from *nix dhcp servers).  For routers, I'd guess you'd have to telnet/ssh in to get the info.

Anyhow, it's not much good knowing there's 87 addresses free on a segment if only 2 of them are available in DHCP.

Also, could then make a new color for the graphs for DHCP available.  Could merge transient with DHCP leases for which there's no ping response giving more accuracy there.

Also, could then do alerts for systems that are up in a DHCP range but have no lease.  There's one that really annoys me - some people seem to think that if they want a static IP, they can just switch to manual and pick an address.  GRRRR!  Alerts based on this one so I can say "Who touched this PC last?!"

3. A port scanner might be a nice bolt-on extra.  When a system is discovered, scan it.  Maybe once a day afterwards...

Who's running a rogue web server?  Who's got a P2P app running?  Less common now, but maybe not unheard of... a virus may open a port to accept instructions... which of my PCs has that port open?

4. System identification (along the lines of NMAP) might also be cool. 

5. Workstations discovered... are they a part of my domain?  Some sort of NETBios scan... who's logged into it?

6. SNMP... Policy might be that no device uses 'public' for a snmp string... can you alert me or give me a report of things out there that are?  Maybe by segment... maybe it's ok for printers to use public, but nothing else...

While IPAM is useful as a replacement for the evil spreadsheet of IP addresses, it seems that it'd really obtain a key position if it were able to help me enforce my policies across the network.  If any of these ideas are possible, I think it'd be awesome...

Jason

P.S. Do I get a discount for every idea you decide you like and implement?  :)

Parents Reply Children
No Data