This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to manage the address space of a non-routed network

Hi,

We would like to manage the address space of a non-routed network.  Is this possible to do without making it routed?

We have access to the switch on which this address space resides, but through another address space that is routable.  We were thinking if there was a way to use SNMP to obtain the data of that non-routed subnet.

Thanks,

J

• Great post - we are doing an evaluation now.  We are looking for the same thing.

Mike

• Nice to know.  :)

I'm just a Network guy, but since this system uses SQL..I know from our server guys we can populate IP info on this non-routed network into SQL.

If we populated the Orion IPAM SQL database file with this info would it should up in the application?  This is where my SQL/app ignorance comes in.  :) 

• I do a lot of updates directly through SQL.  This is not supported by Solarwinds but it does work and it is a great way to keep device/interface information up to date. - especially custom fields that I can update from our existing customer database.

My guess is that you can make SQL queries directly to IPAM and update the database if you know how to do the updates properly.  It may not be supported but should work.

What would be nice if solarwinds came up with a perl module/API that would allow updates to the DB from the command line.  It would be nice if the API worked on Redhat Linux as well.

• Can one of your elaborate on exactly what you are trying to accomplish here? IPAM can collect information by the following methods: scanning DHCP servers for status, running a ping sweep of a network, neighbor discovery using ARP tables, and manually. Obviously if you cannot talk to those networks from the IPAM server, your only real option is to track this manually. 

Regarding an API, we have an SDK that allows you to programatically access the data without going directly to SQL. I do not believe their is a perl mod for this. For more information, see this thwack forum

http://thwack.com/forums/6/solarwinds-community/216/orion-sdk/

Mav

• Hi J,

as you have access to the switch via IP, it should not be a problem even though the subnet you want to monitor is a different one than the one you are managing the switch with.

Like Mav noted, you can use ARP discovery for that, there is a little checkmark in IPAM in the subnet settings, enter the IP of the switch in there and it should detect them just fine =)

• Hi Mav,

I am trying to accomplish the following.  Example network  10.10.10.0/24 is not routed, nor reachable from the IPAM server.

IP address 192.168.5.1 is the MGMT IP of the switch that the above network resides on.  192.168.5.1 is reachable via IPAM, as well as the rest of the 192.168.5.x/24 network.

I would like to manage the 10.10.10.0/24 network within IPAM. 

Thanks,

• Thanks Questionario.

I manually entered the non-routed network in IPAM, put the MGMT IP of the switch as it's neighbor and it populated.

Looks like the limitation is if the device is actually in the ARP table at the time of the scan...yes?

• I am not able to scan my backup environment IP's that are on a non-routable vlan on the 192.168.x.x IP address scheme.  Do I need assign an IP address in that subnet to the primary poller to be able to scan this vlan/scope?

• I am also looking for something Similar for monitoring couple of non routable subnets in my network. 

@cfizz34 Did you try assiging ip address to your poller from that network ? if yes, did it work?

Thanks

Shripad