This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

IPAM Subnet Search

Is there a way to search on subnet details?  I only see options to search for IP addresses and their associated fields.

We have a large network with many remote locations.  It would be extremely useful to be able to search for that location name, already in the subnet description, and get those subnets in the results.

Thanks,

Wayne

Parents
  • I was poking around the database today trying to locate where it saves supernet information, and I was not able to find it.  I have been trying to come up with a way to make IPAM more useful for our network department, and I was messing around with using supernets to reserve network blocks.  My thought was that I could have a section that contained subnets for the server teams to add their reservations, and then the network team would have a section with the less specific supernets that we are more concerned with tracking.

Being able to report on supernet utilization would an amazing feature for us.

• What I started doing is to create a supernet with a description when I want to reserve IP space for a purpose.  I create a subnet when addresses are actually allocated and the subnet is "live".  Typically that's when our core routers learn the route, but some subnets are NATed or hidden.

• I wish this would work for us, but I have multiple other groups that use the system that wouldn't like seeing everything in what would be a logical layout for the network team.

The problem we have lies with the divergent needs of the people using the tool.  Server teams would like everything organized by ServerGroup>site>subnet, which does nothing for the network team who are concerned with what supernets we have allocated.  At this point we are maintaining IPAM for the server teams, and a spreadsheet to track network assignments.

So much for ditching the spreadsheet. emoticons_plain.png

Here is an example of what I was trying to achieve, where IP Allocation would be actual networks as they exist at a location, and Network Allocation would be the big picture of how our networks are being utilized.  In this example Site1 has 10.16.232.0/23, 10.17.232.0/23, 10.18.232.0/23, and 10.47.40.0/23.  In the IP Allocations we actually show what networks are in use, so that the server admins can add reservations.  If they need a new network we compare the two lists and add the new network to the IP Allocation group.

IPAM Thwack.png

• I wish this would work for us, but I have multiple other groups that use the system that wouldn't like seeing everything in what would be a logical layout for the network team.

The problem we have lies with the divergent needs of the people using the tool.  Server teams would like everything organized by ServerGroup>site>subnet, which does nothing for the network team who are concerned with what supernets we have allocated.  At this point we are maintaining IPAM for the server teams, and a spreadsheet to track network assignments.

So much for ditching the spreadsheet. emoticons_plain.png

Here is an example of what I was trying to achieve, where IP Allocation would be actual networks as they exist at a location, and Network Allocation would be the big picture of how our networks are being utilized.  In this example Site1 has 10.16.232.0/23, 10.17.232.0/23, 10.18.232.0/23, and 10.47.40.0/23.  In the IP Allocations we actually show what networks are in use, so that the server admins can add reservations.  If they need a new network we compare the two lists and add the new network to the IP Allocation group.

IPAM Thwack.png

Children
No Data