This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Socket connection error

Has anyone seen this error, if so, what was root cause or solution?

Error: The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '01:00:00'.

I am using EOC 1.2 sp1. Thanks

Parents
  • So are you seeing this on the home page or just in log files?  Can you provide a screenshot if it is on the home page?  I may know the error that you are referring to, but just want to make sure.

Thanks,

David

• cant do a screen shot since it is on a closed network. pretty much just has it in big red text in the Global Active Alerts section on my home page..

Thanks,

Willi

• Top 10 are

EOC_TrapVarbind , EOC_Event , EOC_Trap , EOC_Syslog , EOC_InterfaceCore , EOC_INterfaceCustomProperties , EOC_NodeCore , EOC_NodeCustomProperties , EOC_OrionCustomPollerAssignment , EOC_VolumeCore

• Sorry, the number of rows in that in the top 10 are important for me as well to understand if the size of the datasets that are causing the issue.  Can you open up the EOC.PollingService.log files and see if there are errors in there that are time out type of errors as well?

• Change of plan.  The tech support lead for EOC suggests that you call this in so that we can address your issue quicker.

Thanks,

David

• TrapVarbind - 4754

Event - 2465

Trap - 2321

Syslog - 2000

InterfaceCore - 1035

InterfaceCustomProperties - 1035

NodeCore - 760

NodeCustom Properties - 760

OrionCustomPollerAssignment - 707

VolumeCore - 515

• Thank Goodness some one else was seeing this. I just haven't gotten around to opening a ticket on it. Needless to say I am seeing this as well but I thought it was related to the DST change as I started to see it shortly there after.

Anxious to see a resolution.

• I would like to see if we can do it on here...im in no rush right now so maybe if others are seeing it like sotherls then we can all find it on thwack so you guys dont have to keep getting tickets and calls..

• So, how often does this occur for either of you?  Does this happen to occur just right after you restart any of the SolarWinds services?  Does it only happen when the view initially loads, or does it happen when you press F5 and/or when the page automatically refreshes?

From the table counts that you provided, I wouldn't expect this to be a database processing issue.  For either of you, is the database on a remote machine or on the local EOC install?  For one customer, he moved the database to his local EOC install machine, and received much better performance.  But suficit to say, we did have some performance issues in the way that we called the database so much, so also for that customer we did create a hotfix to address the issues as well.  Unfortunately, that hotfix is only available if you call it in and we determine that it is likely to address your issue.

Thanks,

David

• David, I have seen this after a refresh, or when I navigate to the page or sometimes when I restart services. In other words it is random.

In my case EOC and SQL are on seperate systems.

I have applied the latest performance files provided by Matthew Harvey but this did not change this issue one way or the other. (It did improve my overal UI performance however - thank you!)

• Mine is random as well. My db is on a remote machine.

• Can one or both of you look for errors in the log files that are in the following directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\InformationService

The errors in there should explain what the reason for the timeout was, hopefully.

Thanks,
    David

• Can one or both of you look for errors in the log files that are in the following directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\InformationService

The errors in there should explain what the reason for the timeout was, hopefully.

Thanks,
    David

Children
  • One of my EOC's just flipped out but I think it was due to the fact that I changed the Time Zone from GMT and Change with Daylight Savings Time to GMT and Change with NO Daylight Savings Time.

In the 'Global Node Status' I see this error:

The resource threw an exception:
    The socket connection was aborted. This could
    be caused by an error processing your
    message or a receive timeout being exceeded
    by the remote host, or an underlying network
    resource issue. Local socket timeout was '01:00:00'

No errors in the log files. :(