This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

View Customizations Not Working as they should?

I have 3 Solarwinds instances in EOC, summing up 17000 nodes, but apart from the Enterprise view, there is not much I can view

When adding resources to a view, they display empty even though no limitations have been applied.

pastedImage_3.png

What I could figure, in the legacy EOC, the app imported ALL nodes from all instances in the database, in a view called EOC_Node.

Now that table doesn't exist anymore, it was replaced with Nodes, that is now empty. And the db is only 300 MB in size as opposed to 2 GB in legacy.

pastedImage_4.pngpastedImage_5.png

Is this normal? The lack of resources makes EOC pretty much useless.

Parents Reply Children
  • Thank you, jblankjblank, I went through all the articles, but my question was about the tool having resources that do not even work. Building custom tables and charts all the time is tedious work and has its limitations. The legacy version had out of the box resources that were needed by both management and our techs, things like the Application Health Overview, or Node trees, things that are not present in 2.0. Is there a plan to import those in?

• As mentioned throughout those posts, there were certainly areas in which we plan to do better to ensure that users are not taken down a wrong path when attempting to create or customize views.  There are resources that will not function in the same manner they did in versions of EOC prior to 2.0.  These resources will likely be hidden in subsequent releases to avoid confusion.  The goal with the 2.0 release was to focus on the need that users want a more effective method of status roll-up, and a way to more effectively highlight actionable items vs general lists. 

A couple of the examples you mention above like the Application Health Overview have a nice pie chart (I agree nice visuals are hugely important), but this resource functions almost more like a screenshot of of application status and does not even allow the user to drill into that data.  This usually did not resonate with users either.  To provide details from the Understanding Changes In EOC 2.0 - The Enterprise Summary View -

In reviewing a resource such as an All Nodes Tree or in EOC Classic the Global Node Status by Site, this is a list view of each node per Orion Instance.  Expanding an option like the Orion Americas example would provide a list of 214 nodes that can be scrolled through to identify different status's across your distributed environment.

List Scroll Final.gif

There are a couple issues with this.  The example provided above isn't even that long of a list compared to most of your environments, and as you can see, I have to continue to scroll to determine which devices are in what state.  It is also strictly specific to Nodes.  There were many of you that wanted to focus on other areas of interest in your environment and incorporate other entities such as interfaces, storage arrays, etc...  Many of your environments also probably looked like the screenshot below:

pastedImage_9.png

Yellow icons through the entire list, again requiring you to expand and scroll to determine impact and whether there is something actionable.  Keep in mind that in versions of EOC prior to 2.0, the manner used to collect data often resulted in delays in representing accurate status.

Additional information was covered in the previously mentioned thread, and it probably wouldn't be a good idea to just re-post all of them here but have you tried leveraging Tiles to accomplish an Application Health Overview?  Is there something specific you prefer about the Node List in a view?

In future releases, we plan to make further changes and provide more flexibility to users so stay tuned.  I am also curious if you would like to share examples of some of the views you had in EOC 1.6.3 which you preferred vs adopting the new method.  That would be highly beneficial to understand the problem you are trying to solve and allow us to consider changes for the upcoming releases.  

• Ok, I was under the misapprehension that the new EOC would take more from the new versions of NPM by adding resources instead of subtracting. I guess we'll have to do with the Environment summary and custom table reports for now.

• We need to know what specifically you are looking for.  There are certainly some changes in the latest version of EOC that may be different to behavior you were previously used to, but I am not sure what has been subtracted.  We do of course have plans to continue adding new functionality to future releases, and our current approach allows for EOC to consume new features built by module teams much easier.  If you are able to provide examples of views you feel are critical to your use of EOC, it may help in our planning. 

• I actually found this topic as I was attempting to find the same type of function.   We have 3 different instances, 1 instance only monitors Network Nodes in one specific region, another instance only monitors Server nodes in a specific region and the 3rd instance monitors Network and Server nodes in a different region.   What we have been wanting to do is combine all three instances into a single view.   Many things in older versions of EOC were annoying, in the new version I was hoping to still be able to look at 3 resources showing each region and to be able to list them by city/building/closet.

Below is example of how we previously had this set up:

2018-01-29 15_25_24-SolarWinds EOC - Home.png

2018-01-29 15_26_19-SolarWinds EOC - Home2.png

I understand the value of the enterprise summary view, but didn't know if there is still a way to set up a single page and displaying nodes based on city/closet/node pulling from each instance?

• johnlad - thank you for the clear use case you provided.  This is a very legitimate scenario in which the tiles could certainly be leveraged, but a user such as yourself may be forced to create a large number of tiles.  Then the screen real-estate each of these tiles would consume just makes this solution impractical.  There is not a way that this can be accomplished in EOC 2.0, but as always, this is not a new problem that we have not been aware of, so stay tuned.  We have some plans in place to address this need, and are working to execute on those as we speak.